Oil Top Up - which oil?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest5111

Oil Top Up - which oil?

Post by guest5111 »

I've had the bike since November and been monitoring the oil level. It's dropped a little, and I want to top it up. I'd appreciate some advice about which oil to use. Do I buy from The dealership or can I get something appropriate from Halfords, say? If so, what? Was wondering if this is OK from Halfords ....?

Halfords Motorcycle Engine Oil Fully Synthetic 5W/40 - 5ltr

Also, how much to add eg what quantity approx is needed to top up from slightly below the inner circle?
First time I've attempted this so any/all advice gratefully received.
Last edited by guest5111 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil Top Up - which oil?

Post by BoB21 »

My advice would be to delete this question as you will open can of worms.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Better a can of worms than a seized engine?  8)
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

lol I used overpriced BMW oil but bike new and under warranty. but only topped up once. now on 11,000 miles.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What oil has the engine got in at present, if it's the dealer OEM stuff, then I'd by 1 litre from them for topping up.

The Rider's Manual give a spec. of SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, the BMW (Shell) Advantec is API SN & JASO MA-2, this exceeds the API rating which is alphabetical.

The top & bottom of the inner circle of the sight glass is the MAX & MIN level. A maximum of 0.95 litres is the difference between MIN and MAX levels.

Down the line, if you are doing your own servicing or wish to supply the dealers with oil, then more cost effective alternatives are available.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks David, exactly what I was looking for.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just remember your bike has a wet clutch.  Normal type oil bought from the likes of Halfords will be for cars.  It could wreck your clutch very quickly.  Use OEM stuff.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If you buy Halfords motorcycle oil, check the JASO rating.

The JASO MA and MA2 standards are designed to distinguish oils that are approved for wet clutch use, and the JASO MB standard is not suitable for wet clutch use.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks all for the feedback. I don't know what oil it has in at present. It came from Hunts Manchester not a BM dealer.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

If it needs topping up by a large amount and your concerned about possibly mixing oils, then I would recommend just to purchase the right oil, a filter and do a mini service.
Will give you peace of mind for a small outlay, plus the engine will thank you for it,
You could do a video on the oil change procedure for your return to biking series[size=78%] [/size]be[size=78%] [/size]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Back2TheBike wrote:I don't know what oil it has in at present. It came from Hunts Manchester not a BM dealer.
When (at what date/mileage) & where was the last service done.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

michaelc2710 wrote: If it needs topping up by a large amount and your concerned about possibly mixing oils, then I would recommend just to purchase the right oil, a filter and do a mini service.
Will give you peace of mind for a small outlay, plus the engine will thank you for it,
You could do a video on the oil change procedure for your return to biking series[size=78%] [/size]be[size=78%] [/size]
Thanks for that. It might make a great film of a engine making some strange noises too if I got it wrong. A bit nervous about that ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest5111

Oil Top Up - which oil?

Post by guest5111 »

David. wrote: When (at what date/mileage) & where was the last service done.
3500 miles last service in Nov '17 now done around 4200.

Last edited by guest5111 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Back2TheBike wrote:3500 miles last service in Nov '16 now done around 4200.
In which case the bike is overdue a 12 months service inc. an oil & filter change. Therefore, as Michael has suggested, dump the oil & filter and replace with new.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

David. wrote: In which case the bike is overdue a 12 months service inc. an oil & filter change. Therefore, as Michael has suggested, dump the oil & filter and replace with new.
Apologies David, typo, my big fingers, was actually Nov 2017 ...only a couple of months ago.