Oil Top Up - which oil?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Sprintgull

Re: Oil Top Up - which oil?

Post by Sprintgull »

michaelc2710 wrote: BoB21 warned you to delete your question as you would over yourself a can of worms.... ;)

+1 for me.  Mine's a 16 plate with 8k and I've never needed to top up.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

David. wrote: Will be interesting to know what make, viscosity & spec. oil a Honda dealer would use in a BMW bike.
Just asked the question and the answer is Castrol 5w40 power 1 racing fully synthetic. I've ordered a litre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Back2TheBike wrote:Just asked the question and the answer is Castrol 5w40 power 1 racing fully synthetic. I've ordered a litre.
Spot on, thanks for the feedback.
heli_madken

Post by heli_madken »

[size=2px]Was the service done by Hunts? if so be very wary, the last bike I bought from them they completed a service, stamped the book, and gave the bike an MOT. [/size]

They didnt change the oil or filter, air filter, spark plug gaps were wrong and looked original, faulty spark plug cap wasnt attached properly, rear diff level wasnt correct and front pads were shot.

In addition the rear brake switch was broken and one of the two rear brake light bulbs was blown. First ride out I got pulled over by the police as I was unaware I had no rear brake light, was able to show him that the bike had passed its MOT the day before.

Hunts? wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, replace the first letter with another!
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Oil? O:-)
LAF

Post by LAF »

I do UOA on my bikes and cars.  The lab says time on oil is nothing but a waste of money.  You should never change oil on time, only miles.

You are paying for a additive package that prevents acidic conditions so oil sitting on your metal parts is not degrading your metal.

I will never change oil on time ever  As long as the additive package is quality as with our oil it is, then only mileage will break it down.

My UOA come back great and all have said to extend miles between changes.  The last time they told me to go to 6500 miles and the UOA came back fine.

I hate oil threads but if you have a UOA done there is no guessing just factual information on the elements and how much are in your oil.

As far as make up oil any one that meets the spec will be fine.

And remember the new amount is 3.6 liters.  Most dealers just dump 4 and that puts you at the very top of the oil sight glass.  You want mid circle of the center red ring for a correct level.