Oil Top Up - which oil?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil Top Up - which oil?

Post by David. »

Back2TheBike wrote:Was actually Nov 2017 ...only a couple of months ago.
Who did the service, is there a stamp in the book or any paperwork.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

David. wrote: Who did the service, is there a stamp in the book or any paperwork.
Hunts Manchester, biggest Honda dealer in the NW. They have a BMW trained mechanic and the book is stamped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Back2TheBike wrote:Hunts Manchester
Ask them what oil they used & use the same to top up.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

David. wrote: Ask them what oil they used & use the same to top up.
Will do. Thanks David, appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Back2TheBike wrote:Hunts Manchester, biggest Honda dealer in the NW. They have a BMW trained mechanic and the book is stamped.
Will be interesting to know what make, viscosity & spec. oil a Honda dealer would use in a BMW bike.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

NO OIL THREAD
first off a new bike can use some oil, especially since Bmw switched to synthetic oil from the factory
After warming to operating temperature, put bike on center stand and let it sit for a few minutes with engine off, oil should be visible in sight glass, anything above the bulls eye you should be good to go, if you decide to fill add no more than a 1/4litre and again let oil settle, checking sight glass
Many different brands of oil meet BMWs requirements, one in use on this side of the pond is Shell Rotella T6 5-40 which is MS2 spec, priced less than 1/2 factory oil

Jim
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks T6. Do they consume oil at a steady rate, or does this tend to reduce over time?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

T6pilot wrote:Many different brands of oil meet BMWs requirements, one in use on this side of the pond is Shell Rotella T6 5-40 which is MS2 spec, priced less than 1/2 factory oil.
In the UK, the BMW oil is available from Motorworks at £17.26, https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... gine%20oil.

Castrol Power 1 meets the BMW spec. & is only £10.99, https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-77367-cast ... e-oil.aspx.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Am I missing something here.  You have a bike which is under 2 years old so still under warranty.  It’s service book should show an initial service at about 600 Miles by a BMW Dealer which is normally the one that supplied it.  The book should then show at what date and mileage the next service is due.  This should be 6000 Miles on from the first service mileage or 12 months, whichever comes first. 
If you have none of that shown you have no warranty. If you have none of that go to any BMW bike dealer and get them to check it’s service history. It costs nothing
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like the bike is a 16 Plate, (1st March to 31st August 2016),  purchased in November 2017 with 3,500 miles on the clock.
Therefore, the 600 miles running in check should have been completed.

My guess is that the bike had an annual service by the supplying (Honda) dealer when purchased in November 2017 & the book was stamped.
Providing that the BMW service schedule has been met, using genuine parts or equivalent, then the warranty should still be valid.

If this is correct, the next service would be due after 12 months in November 2018 or after 6,000 miles at 9,500 miles.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

David. wrote: Looks like the bike is a 16 Plate, (1st March to 31st August 2016), purchased in November 2017 with 3,500 miles on the clock.
Therefore, the 600 miles running in check should have been completed.

My guess is that the bike had an annual service by the supplying (Honda) dealer when purchased in November 2017 & the book was stamped.
Providing that the BMW service schedule has been met, using genuine parts or equivalent, then the warranty should still be valid.

If this is correct, the next service would be due after 12 months in November 2018 or after 6,000 miles at 9,500 miles.

Correct. This isn't a problem, all I wanted to do was top up the oil correctly having never done it before. It doesn't need servicing (it didn't need it in November but Hunts insisted on it anyway) and still has a chunk of warranty left on it.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Back2TheBike wrote: Thanks T6. Do they consume oil at a steady rate, or does this tend to reduce over time?

Most boxer engines are fully seated by 12000 miles, I had one that liked oil for the first
8000 miles, after that not a drop
Hex and cam head Engines actually call for Dino oil for first 6000 miles as it provides for better ring sealing
If your using a quart of oil between changes (6000 miles) that’s not unusual and will get better as mileage increases
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In my experience the new engine from 2014 onwards use next to no oil from new .  Mine sold with 10K on it never had a top up and the window stayed full.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

BoB21 warned you to delete your question as you would over yourself a can of worms.... ;)
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

michaelc2710 wrote: BoB21 warned you to delete your question as you would over yourself a can of worms.... ;)

Hehe. Ah, but I'm a lot wiser now than when I asked the question  ;D . Thanks everyone for your insights. I'm still unsure which questions I should be asking having been away from biking for so long, but [size=78%]As Donald Rumsfield said ...[/size]

Attachments
ScreenHunter_467 Jan. 17 09.55.jpg