2005 R1200RT mirrors pop off - any way to anchor them?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

2005 R1200RT mirrors pop off - any way to anchor them?

Post by jackronner »

I see that BMW offers a "holding strap" which I suppose just prevents the mirror from falling to the roadway when it pops off.  But it probably flails about  in the slipstream, marking up the fairing bodywork.  Looks like it would be easy to fabricate your own.  Any other products or DIY fixes?  Thanks.
bandytales

Re: 2005 R1200RT mirrors pop off - any way to anchor them?

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: I see that BMW offers a "holding strap" which I suppose just prevents the mirror from falling to the roadway when it pops off.  But it probably flails about  in the slipstream, marking up the fairing bodywork.  Looks like it would be easy to fabricate your own.  Any other products or DIY fixes?  Thanks.
What are you trying to fix? Mirrors only come off if they are hit by something (say, a bird, or wall), so the tether is there as a safety net. Some folk fabricate their own using fishing wire / cord. That's what I did on my Oilhead. The objective is to not loose your mirror pod, and the tethers do just that.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

The mirrors are held in place by 3 or 4 rubber grommets each, if that is what they are called. By repeated removal of the mirrors, they get worn out and will offer less resistance . Replacing them is not cheap, are about $5 a piece, so $30 or$40, but cheaper than replacing a mirror. My mirrors are fine, but have them secured with a lose nylon zip tie. Just in case!
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

bandytales wrote: What are you trying to fix? Mirrors only come off if they are hit by something (say, a bird, or wall),so the tether is there as a safety net. Some folk fabricate their own using fishing wire / cord. That's what I did on my Oilhead. The objective is to not loose your mirror pod, and the tethers do just that.
The OP's bike is at least 12 years old. Mirrors may have been removed many times. Some rubber grommets hold them in place. Rubber deteriorates after several frictions, as well in time. No need for the mirrors to get hit, they can fall off just from vibration! A good idea is to use a zip tie to keep them from hitting the road and pulverize!! Your bike is fairly new (it IS new !!) but zip ties are a few cents a piece!!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, all.  I think the zip tie is the best option, as long as you leave enough slack to snip it if you have to remove the mirrors to work on the body panels, etc. 

I can only blame myself for losing the mirrors, in that I'd screwed some plastic pieces on top to deflect the wind/rain from my hands (something BMW finally did in later iterations of the RT).  Some side winds must have hit the deflectors and rocked them loose (I didn't know they were so minimally fixed to the frame).
Motobricker

Post by Motobricker »

I used some fishing line and two swivel hooks from my fishing tackle box.  Attached one end to one screw inside the mirror and the other around any available place on mirror.  Easy and cheap.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Just as a suggestion: Your 2005 has the holes to install a pair of aftermarket mirrors.
I find the oem mirrors inconveniently placed, and the new mirrors offer a much better
view of what you have behind.
Attachments
IMG_0950.JPG
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i used small cable-ties/tie-wraps to keep them attached

i also installed these mirrors, which are loads better, in fact I don't use the standard mirrors at all anymore

(i think they are K1200RS mirrors)

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Do you have any info or link on the manufacturer?  Thanks.