Loom for topbox

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Goodbuyspeed

Loom for topbox

Post by Goodbuyspeed »

recently bought myself a 2016 r1200rt lc  with topbox  I've been trying to get a loom for central locking and the dealer says you can't buy one any help greatly appreaceted
guest2360

Re: Loom for topbox

Post by guest2360 »

He’s right .  They are an integral part of the top box.  Your best bet is probably a scrap,one with a loom but fitting it could be a challenge.  I’m not sure if the lock is capable of conversion to central locking either.
Goodbuyspeed

Post by Goodbuyspeed »

Seems very strange . So if you have a top box with the loom fitted and you break a wire you need to buy a complete box 😳  Total rip off in my book 😬
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Had a bog standard, tho still pricey, 51litre when I bought my '14 RT. Even tho the bike came with central locking. Upon the purchase of the 17MY I looked into putting the central locking onto my box. Had to be simple as you could buy the cable when I'd bought the '14. But in their wisdom BMW decided that,  as RTman10 says, you had to buy a new topbox! Obviously not getting enough profit on a £500+ one!!
Agree that it's a rip off!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

As you can imagine, there’s been a fair bit of discussion wrt hooking up a brake light on the standard LC RT 49 litre top box. This thread is just one.....https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

smileymiley wrote: Had a bog standard, tho still pricey, 51litre when I bought my '14 RT. Even tho the bike came with central locking. Upon the purchase of the 17MY I looked into putting the central locking onto my box. Had to be simple as you could buy the cable when I'd bought the '14. But in their wisdom BMW decided that,  as RTman10 says, you had to buy a new topbox! Obviously not getting enough profit on a £500+ one!!
Agree that it's a rip off!

It would be a rip off if you could only buy it with the loom.  As it is BMW have been good enough to make it without so saving you money.  Suppose it depends at what end you start asking the question
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

But you can now only buy the topbox with the loom!
No chance of upgrading an already expensive box that has the same specs as the wired new one!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

It's an annoying situation alright.
I wanted to add central locking to my Givi topbox, I even found a (the?) company that makes the plug that is required to connect to the factory connection on the R1200RT LC.
I tried contacting the company with a view to purchasing some connectors, but they never replied or acknowledged my message to them.
Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

smileymiley wrote:
But you can now only buy the topbox with the loom!
No chance of upgrading an already expensive box that has the same specs as the wired new one!

The non loom one is still shown as available in Real OEM.