IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #2

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Here are my reflections on my 2nd observed ride. I think the penny is beginning to drop, and the video looks more at the philosophy rather than individual technical skills.

As always, comments and observations welcomed.

https://youtu.be/luALeRmFTxE
MacJ

Re: IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #2

Post by MacJ »

Your comments in relation to being in 'Command' of the road are very pertinent. My grandson has just taken up biking and rides a 125 cc learner bike. I have taken him out on a number of occasions and have spent a lot of time impressing this on him.
He felt that as a learner on a low powered bike he had to keep out of the way of faster traffic and let it pass him quickly. This is a fault you see far too often with scooter and mopeds riding in the kerb.
I think I've managed to get through to him now that the other traffic will have to wait for a safe place to pass as his safety is far more important than a 'BMW or AUDI'  :whistle:  driver saving 10 seconds on his journey.
It has to be said though that it much easier for me to dominate the lane on an RT than it is for him.
I still think your in too low a gear for much of the time though! Lol.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

MacJ wrote: Your comments in relation to being in 'Command' of the road are very pertinent. My grandson has just taken up biking and rides a 125 cc learner bike. I have taken him out on a number of occasions and have spent a lot of time impressing this on him.
He felt that as a learner on a low powered bike he had to keep out of the way of faster traffic and let it pass him quickly. This is a fault you see far too often with scooter and mopeds riding in the kerb.
I think I've managed to get through to him now that the other traffic will have to wait for a safe place to pass as his safety is far more important than a 'BMW or AUDI'  :whistle:  driver saving 10 seconds on his journey.
It has to be said though that it much easier for me to dominate the lane on an RT than it is for him.
I still think your in too low a gear for much of the time though! Lol.
Thanks for the feedback. Funnily enough ive learned to drive more assertively in the car, just need to adopt that attitude on the bike as a habit. Im still feeling my way with the gears although on that ride I actually did try changing up a bit sooner. Getting 56 mpg though!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest5111 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Very good point about your dominant eye. I have one too, and also find left handers easier than right. Makes sense now!

Thanks again for sharing.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Sullivj wrote: Very good point about your dominant eye. I have one too, and also find left handers easier than right. Makes sense now!

Thanks again for sharing.
So what do we do about it?

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Back2TheBike wrote: So what do we do about it?

Ride 'East' to 'North East' to 'North' Before going 'West' to 'South West' and home to the  'East' in a Left hand Circle?  ;)    Or realise your tyre's have just as much grip on the right side as the left  8)  It's not an uncommon thing believe me, but it's all in the mind  :) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

simbo wrote:
Ride 'East' to 'North East' to 'North' Before going 'West' to 'South West' and home to the  'East' in a Left hand Circle?  ;)    Or realise your tyre's have just as much grip on the right side as the left  8)  It's not an uncommon thing believe me, but it's all in the mind  :)
I take your point Simbo but it's the eyes not the mind. Left eye is dominant 20/20 right eye much less so, so left eye does the work. It does affect perspective. One reason for example I could never field in the slips in a cricket game but was fine in the outfield. I like your idea though about choosing clockwise routes to practice, as it's just occurred to me that 80% of the time I ride anti-clockwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Interesting video! Thanks! Something I noticed though is that you seemed to ride in the middle of your lane while behind traffic. Maybe it was the camera angle or the small screen on my phone but I try not to ride in the middle of the lane behind traffic because of possible debris that a car can safely navigate over without having to adjust steering where you on the bike would have to react to avoid. Just curious and a talking point is all!
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

slowvet wrote: Interesting video! Thanks! Something I noticed though is that you seemed to ride in the middle of your lane while behind traffic. Maybe it was the camera angle or the small screen on my phone but I try not to ride in the middle of the lane behind traffic because of possible debris that a car can safely navigate over without having to adjust steering where you on the bike would have to react to avoid. Just curious and a talking point is all!
Is that vet as in veteran, or vet as in vetenary ?! Either way, my respect.

Now that's something I'd never have thought of. But does that mean when following a 4 wheeled vehicle you're always in kerb or crown position? Or at least you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe?

Last edited by guest5111 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

B2TBike, no, I'm not a veteran of the armed forces. It's a nickname for an old motocrosser when I raced the veteran class (old guys). To answer your question, no I ride in all parts of my lane when I have good visibilty/reaction time to the vehicle in front of me.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Riding in traffic  I always consider positioning myself  directly in front of the driver of the car following me.  That way they are looking at me and not the vehicle in front of me.    I find if the lemmings in cages are looking past you at the tail lights of the vehicle you are following they drive much closer to the back of you.  Bearing in mind the average driver in traffic is looking no further than the vehicle in front. IMHO thats why so many drive through red lights.  They are so focused on the back light of the car in front the have not seen the traffic lights change, so why would they stop.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Back2TheBike wrote: So what do we do about it?

One of my YouTube subscribers just pointed out this MCRider video that addresses the 'right-handlers' problem. Around 12 mins in https://youtu.be/PurrTb9BpnA
Anybody?

Last edited by guest5111 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Hi B2TB

I am curious as to why you went out on the bike to talk about things that had nothing to do with what you were doing on your bike at the time.
Unfortunately, this in turn, detracted from you riding safely.
Your speeds were erratic for the types of road(s) you were using.
We should always avoid taking up cornering positions in town in 30 and 40 mph limits when other traffic is clearly visible, as doing so simply confuses other road users. It is a different situation when you are on your own.
Finally, you were speeding in the 30 limit. Again, as a result of you not concentrating on the task in hand.
I hope that this is helpful, it is all a steep learning curve.
Always happy to help.
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Glencoe wrote: Hi B2TB

I am curious as to why you went out on the bike to talk about things that had nothing to do with what you were doing on your bike at the time.

>>You need to be more than curious because you clearly don't understand how different people learn. The Back2TheBike Channel is for people like me, coming back to it from a long time off the bike, who want to understand the process of getting back on one safely. When I set it up there was nothing like it, and that's why I'm doing it. I make all my mistakes in public, warts and all, and will continue to do so. That's why. For me, reflection and soliciting feedback is a valuable part of the learning process, which I do, incidentally, happen to be an expert in. If you checked out the comments on YouTube you might appreciate that.

Unfortunately, this in turn, detracted from you riding safely.

>>No, i[size=2px]t doesn't detract from my riding one bit. [/size][size=78%]At no point in this short video was I riding 'unsafely'. Not to say I can't improve, because I know I can and will.[/size]

Your speeds were erratic for the types of road(s) you were using.

>>My speed was not erratic, and if I rode that portion of road again, at such low speeds, I'd do it the same, given those conditions. Maybe with more experience on the RT it might be slightly more polished, more refined, but the intent was there. I'm learning a new skill in roadcraft at the same time as learning the RT so don't expect to have mastered it yet. It was safe enough.

We should always avoid taking up cornering positions in town in 30 and 40 mph limits when other traffic is clearly visible, as doing so simply confuses other road users. It is a different situation when you are on your own.

>>Maybe so, but it was safe enough for that speed and those conditions.

Finally, you were speeding in the 30 limit. Again, as a result of you not concentrating on the task in hand.

>>You're bang on, an indicated 34mph exiting a village, a few yards before the NSL sign IS 'speeding'. But if that is the only misdemeanour I won't lose too much sleep over it. And how do you know I 'wasn't concentrating'? You've got me curious now ...

I hope that this is helpful, it is all a steep learning curve.

>>Rather condescending and not helpful actually. These videos are put out there in good faith, and I appreciate quality feedback when it comes, as evidenced by every previous response to those providing it. This feels like the 'help' I can do without. Thanks but no thanks.

Always happy to help.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Hang fire! Let me get some popcorn before it all kicks off  :))
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)