IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #2

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

Re: IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #2

Post by guest5111 »

Ringside seat? 8)
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

It seems that I've misunderstood your 'As always, comments and observations welcomed'

Hopefully you will soon realise just how much you have to learn. Good luck with that.

Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Keep up the good work back2Thebike, I enjoy your videos as do lots of people looking at the positive feedback you get on youtube.
You can't please everyone in life even trying to be helpful...
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

aphill24 wrote: Keep up the good work back2Thebike, I enjoy your videos as do lots of people looking at the positive feedback you get on youtube.
You can't please everyone in life even trying to be helpful...
+1, makes me think about what I do too.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Glencoe wrote:
It seems that I've misunderstood your 'As always, comments and observations welcomed'

Hopefully you will soon realise just how much you have to learn. Good luck with that. quote]

I think your comments are spot on, and I agree that the OP does ask for comments and when he gets them, he doesn't seem accept criticism. The vids are quite good watching and well made, but people shouldn't take advice from them, as the OP is just passing on his understanding of what he has been shown and trying to practice. The only way to learn to ride to an advanced standard is to get some guidance from a qualified trainer.

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

+1. Yes, the vids are entertaining and interesting, and any such bike vids are worth watching but I agree, to make any real advanced progress with your riding, then it ultimately requires assistance from qualified IAM/RoSPA accredited riders.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

+2.
The 'Trainers' that trained me were themselves advanced riders and very well qualified to pass on their expertise. They were Riders first - Trainers second.
Riding a bike is not like a Social Science, Literature or H&S. Reading a book , no matter how well qualified you are, will not equip you to teach.
The vids are well produced and can be interesting but should carry a big health warning.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

My view is that BtB has found a way of expressing his journey and those who want to partake in it should treat it as that. I would not see it as instructional or express comments unless something untoward is going on.
For instrucional videos some of them come from attending the advanced courses. The Bikesafe one had some real lifesavers, along with a very scary one from the "First on Scene" from the HIOW Air Ambulance workshop.
The balance, positioning and speed all come with experience, ones own or others passing it on. All of which rely on ones own abilities, conditions and the bike.
Final point, I was informed that once you have passed the last speed indicator and the next one shows an increase. It is acceptable to be at the speed when passing it, ie 30 to 40, 40 to 60 etc... Similarly the opposite at the speed indicated when passing the limit sign. 
thanks and regards, Ganesh
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Interesting to watch this debate unfold. Just for the record though both videos are clearly marked ...

Least said, soonest mended.

Attachments
ScreenHunter_469 Jan. 23 16.47.jpg
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ganesh wrote: My view is that BtB has found a way of expressing his journey and those who want to partake in it should treat it as that. I would not see it as instructional or express comments unless something untoward is going on.
For instrucional videos some of them come from attending the advanced courses. The Bikesafe one had some real lifesavers, along with a very scary one from the "First on Scene" from the HIOW Air Ambulance workshop.
The balance, positioning and speed all come with experience, ones own or others passing it on. All of which rely on ones own abilities, conditions and the bike.
Final point, I was informed that once you have passed the last speed indicator and the next one shows an increase. It is acceptable to be at the speed when passing it, ie 30 to 40, 40 to 60 etc... Similarly the opposite at the speed indicated when passing the limit sign.

I wasn't ever taught that about speed indicators, the speed limit exists right up to the next speed marker, you don't get a run in to the next speed. On reaching a 60, check mirrors and then accelerate. When approaching a speed limit be at the correct speed to cross the restriction. You will still get a ticket if your speeding up before the next limit
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

WoW I thought the oil thread would open the can. We all learn something new!!!!!!
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi Casbar, might have misunderstood it but that was what the Police instructor said on the workshop, when following him he seemed to be doing that. either slowing or accelerating between the signs to be at the speed when crossing it. It does appear that there is a measured distance between speed sign changes, from my observations. I need to see if that's the case, chat to one of my old colleagues in highways.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I am sure that Casbar is 100% on this as I was just done when I could see the Gateway signs just up the road. Cost me £92 for a 'Speed Awareness' course, which I have to say was quite enlightening as to how poor most people's knowledge of speed limits in particular and Road Traffic Law in general is.
It does work the other way though, as the speed limit drops you must be doing the lower speed when you reach the sign.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ganesh wrote: Hi Casbar, might have misunderstood it but that was what the Police instructor said on the workshop, when following him he seemed to be doing that. either slowing or accelerating between the signs to be at the speed when crossing it. It does appear that there is a measured distance between speed sign changes, from my observations. I need to see if that's the case, chat to one of my old colleagues in highways.

The problem with all this is, when doing a course as an individual you are responsible for your speed. When doing advanced courses, some instructors will say something like I won't be watching my speedo, but the fact remains if you are over the speed limit you are breaking the law. I don't rigidity stick to the National Speed Limit and may go over in some circumstances, but 30s, 40s etc I rigidly keep to. One of my friends has just be on the naughty course for doing 35 towards the end of a 30 limit.

It is down to the discretion of the person who catches you, but the good old Highway code states the speed limit (which is the maximum speed). There is nothing mentioned about you can speed up before the next limit so you cross at the higher speed. If you follow that theory, and we probably all do it sometimes, but what is the distance from the sign you can speed up? There are no markings that say in 150yds National Speed Limit applies, not like the warnings you sometimes get when approaching a lower speed limit.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Back2TheBike wrote: Interesting to watch this debate unfold. Just for the record though both videos are clearly marked ...

Least said, soonest mended.
Blindingly obvious to me that your video was not intended as instructional and very brave of you to put it out considering the number of experts on here. Thankfully you didn't use a different forum where people are less polite.
Stick at it and pay no more attention to the +ve comments than the -ve. A broad translation of a piece of advice given to me by my first boss and passed on by me to many subsequent employees.
Chris