Helmet Camera

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Helmet Camera

Post by Casbar »

There was a Ghost S on eBay yesterday, used, the bloke want £250 starting bid. Thought that was well overpriced. I'll have a look at the Stealth 2 as well  8)
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I looked for a Ghost S for a couple of months before buying the 4K. They always ended up selling for more money than I eventually got the 4k for.

I have now got the 4k to where I want it to be. I have a mic wired through to inside the helmet and it sounds ok. I also have a GoPro 5 and find the Ghost easier to use once set up.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

I'd suggest the 4K is an option if you can buy it from a reputable outlet who backs it with a good warranty. I also suspect that if you don't want to record sound and charge at the same time it may be a good option. I tend to find a lot of reviews, whether for bikes, cars, anything actually, are performed by people who review for a living at get blase, or don't understand your specific requirement, or those who can' read the instructions and foul things up.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Ive been looking at the Sena prism tube.

It's just over £100, it's VERY simple to use, records reasonable quality video which for I want (evidence),it seems to fit the bill.

It's waterproof, but the internal battery tends to only last about 2 hours, so may not be long enough for you.
Last edited by Sullivj on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote: I'd suggest the 4K is an option if you can buy it from a reputable outlet who backs it with a good warranty. I also suspect that if you don't want to record sound and charge at the same time it may be a good option. I tend to find a lot of reviews, whether for bikes, cars, anything actually, are performed by people who review for a living at get blase, or don't understand your specific requirement, or those who can' read the instructions and foul things up.

I agree, you only hear from the few who are having problems, they must have sold loads of 4k by now. You can now buy a splitter cable that allows charging and audio at the same time. I did read there is no longer an car manual mode, so it will only loop if attached to a power supply, but if I get a large enough card, I could just record as normal and reformat when the card is full. Thanks for all the input so far :0
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

One of the OP's requirements (first!) was the ability to buy spare mounting plates.
Can the owners of the Drift mention if that is an option. I would guess it is, maybe as
a bulk with several other mounts may never use, but would be mice to know.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Sorry, should have checked first. Find you can get 5 curved plates, what we want for helmets,
for only can$24. Not bad at all!!
Fortnine, my preferred store!! :kacsint2:
https://fortnine.ca/en/drift-curved-adhesive-mounts
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

temesvar wrote: Sorry, should have checked first. Find you can get 5 curved plates, what we want for helmets,

Other stuff is available too, this for example. https://www.motocentral.co.uk/motorcycl ... meras.html
In the Ghost S box you get two sticky bases, one flat, one curved for helmet, a bracket that you can fit to an elastic strap, USB cable, and two back covers (one waterproof, one you can insert 3.5mm mic and micro USB through). The box it comes in is a work of art.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

temesvar wrote: Sorry, should have checked first. Find you can get 5 curved plates, what we want for helmets,

The OP is in the UK, Fortnine don't quote shipping to UK
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

futterweasel wrote: The OP is in the UK, Fortnine don't quote shipping to UK
You're right! Just mentioned about that being available. Price is for comparison,
or in other words, that is rather cheap. If we can find it over the pond, you can find it as well!
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Drift website quote £4-99 shipping don't know if you would have to pay customs duty/Import tax on top of that?
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

futterweasel wrote: Drift website quote £4-99 shipping don't know if you would have to pay customs duty/Import tax on top of that?

Can be had from eBay with no shipping charges.

Only problem with buying the Ghost S or 4k second hand will be that at least one of the two mounts will normally have been used
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Had you considered an Roadhawk bullet r+ does loop recording in 15 minute loops, approximately 5 hours before it overwrites the first 15 minute file on a 32GB micro sd card, extra mounts available, waterproof to 10 meters, 97g weight with mount, only drawback is battery time of 1.5 hours but this won't matter if you are going to power from a powerbank also british made.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'll have a look tomorrow for reviews, thanks  8)
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I bought a drift S but returned it to the shop as it always was malfunctioning.  They agreed to take it back and I bought a 4k which I have been using for 9 months with a 64 Gb card and so far have had no problems.  I probably use it approx. 3 times a week.  Results have been good.  Before my next trip i will get a long life 1500 mah battery.