Throat mic for bluetooth helmet system

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Frank123

Throat mic for bluetooth helmet system

Post by Frank123 »

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a bluetooth helmet system that works with a throat mic? I have a BMW systems 6 flip up helmet. I can only find throat mics being fitted to 2-way radios. Regards
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Throat mic for bluetooth helmet system

Post by Casbar »

I haven't seen one, what is the issue with the boom mike, I use a boom with a flip helmet. I would think a throat mike connection may cause issues as it would have to be connected to the BT unit which is on the helmet. But would be interested if anyone does make one
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Frank123 wrote: Hi can anyone tell me if there is a bluetooth helmet system that works with a throat mic? I have a BMW systems 6 flip up helmet. I can only find throat mics being fitted to 2-way radios. Regards
Wow, a throat mic'! I stopped using them years ago due to the terrible sound quality. What is the problem with a boom?
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Without giving my age and pre-retirement occupation away :) I found the throat mic fits very nice and unclipped easy from the system. It was just a thought b4 I spend the money on the systems available off the net. Tnx for response.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

But what is the advantage of a throat mic over a boom mike, unless riding covertly. I have also used throat mikes and mikes hidden in clothing, but I have found the boom mike I now have is very good and no issues with my flip lid  8)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote: But what is the advantage of a throat mic over a boom mike, unless riding covertly. I have also used throat mikes and mikes hidden in clothing, but I have found the boom mike I now have is very good and no issues with my flip lid  8)

As for me, there are no advantages. The device makes for an even more cramped up neck (along with the jacket snood and helmet strap). Also the constant pressure of the lobes against your throat - yuk.
The sound quality (in comparison to most other options) is muffled. You could argue that it subject to less wind noise, but with most systems nowadays they have noise cancelling systems which all but eliminate the noise.