Anti-chip film

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest5221

Anti-chip film

Post by guest5221 »

Hi - just want to know if anyone has any views on best anti-chip film for the RT? I have been riding K1300 S's for a number of years and finally decided to go back to an RT - my brand new one arrives in March. I have always put anti-chip film on my K's as I tend to lean on the tank (stomach and knees) and found that especially with Rukka kit paintwork gets scratched easily. I would like to protect my Blue Planet metallic paint from the get-go so wondered if anyone had any preferences - in the past I have used 3M Ventureshield from Chipguard.

Thanks
bandytales

Re: Anti-chip film

Post by bandytales »

troutmill wrote: Hi - just want to know if anyone has any views on best anti-chip film for the RT?

I use and can highly recommend the kits from Tankslapperz.
http://thetankslapper.biz/motorcycles/bmw/
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

A few people with RT iconics have looked at Ceremic coating

https://www.youtube.com/user/CeramicProOfficial

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

troutmill wrote: Hi - just want to know if anyone has any views on best anti-chip film for the RT? I have been riding K1300 S's for a number of years and finally decided to go back to an RT - my brand new one arrives in March. I have always put anti-chip film on my K's as I tend to lean on the tank (stomach and knees) and found that especially with Rukka kit paintwork gets scratched easily. I would like to protect my Blue Planet metallic paint from the get-go so wondered if anyone had any preferences - in the past I have used 3M Ventureshield from Chipguard.

Thanks
Yes, I used the 3M Ventureshield on my K13GT and have added it to the panniers on my RT LC. Great stuff and reasonably priced too. I would certainly recommend it but then you’ve used it previously!
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Got the full 3M kit all over mine, saved a few pillion boot scuffs on the panniers already and in a few years, just remove and new blemish free paint underneath!  Win, win, chicken dinner!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest5221

Post by guest5221 »

Thanks for all the replies 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

The nice thing about The Tankslapperz kit is that you can specify which film you want. it also mixes glossy film with satin film for those areas of the bike that aren't gloss.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I got mine from Nippy Normans.  They do kits for tank and pannier lids (saved a few boot scuffs!).  They work a treat, are not too expensive and pretty easy to fit.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I have friendly chap in NE London who fits the Ventureshield film for me, as I do not find it easy. He will also hand cut extra bits for me, as I sometimes hit [size=16px][align=left]the pillion grab rail with [/size][/align]my boot or he will extend the protection for the panniers and front mudguard. When not doing my bike, he does Rolls, Bentleys, Astons and Lambo's etc.
John Bentall
Martyn H

Post by Martyn H »

I have had a total of four bikes, all BMW, & a car protected by 3M Ventureshield. The chap I used added some special bits to the Iconic, as the paintwork is reputed to be "delicate". Personally I'd get it fitted by a pro, as opposed to DIY, as I saw one friend do it & he ended up with a "corduroy" effect............ :)
I used Bodyguard UK in Northants. & would use them again.    http://bodyguarduk.com/
Regards, Martyn. 2013 R1200RT 2014 R1200R 2017 R1200RT Iconic