Bowing out

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Bowing out

Post by Casbar »

B2B, there is no reason to leave the forum, your vids are very good. But if you ask for comments and put your learning in full view, people will give positive and negative feedback. There are plenty of experts on motorcycling on this forum as well, some are RoSPA and IAM trainers. My comment about "blowing smoke up your arse" was a tongue in cheek comment, meaning if you only want people to tell you how good you are, then its not going to happen until you are good. And for the keyboard warriors and the record, for those who know me, I would never say anything on any forum I wouldn't say to someones face.

Although I don't think I made any criticism of B2B riding and have just commented on things like excess speed in a 30 limit, which we probably all do or have done, but it would fail your basic test, let alone an advanced test.

So in summary, stick with it, forums are forums, they are not full of your friends or people who share your views. If you don't decide to stay, safe riding, but it will be a loss, because there is a lot of good info and knowledge on here and as posted previously, this is probably the most polite forum around.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Having now read the posts I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Am I missing something ?
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, I appreciate that some of the less constructive comments are from highly opininated individuals that you find on any social group. However as you can tell from the number of members compared to the minority that create the disharmony, or unable to express themselves constructively it is worth perservering and ignore the less useful opinions. Seeing the feedback most has been in my view constructive, the destructive has been from a single perspective on an individual issue.

[/size]
However I have avoided asking an opinion on my riding as having survived driving in most conditions, continents, weather, traffic and roads /tracks in more types of vehicles than I can remember I follow a simple process. Work on the basis on a bike no one can see me, they are all trying to kill me and keep the bike away from the hazards, stationary or otherwise.[/size]

I have only been a member for a few years as I took my biking back up after 36years and it has been very helpful in a variety of ways. The best bits are the technical and equipment and general "stuff" about the RT. Although disappointed no-one had tried taking the pistons out of the front calipers.

Stick it out, it's worth it. After all making a vast generalisation which I am sure will spark another tirade, it's bunch of grumpy old men with RTs
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

What’s that phrase...?? Oh yes, “man up”. Somewhat surprised at some mature adult folk who can’t take the rough with the smooth on on-line forums, more so from a professional trainer’ background. Pity really, because the IAM vids posted up gave an interesting angle with the instructors feedback.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I really hope it was nothing I said and I hope you stick around.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have a friend who ran a successful B and B in France for nearly 20 years. Return business was fantastic (we stayed there over 30 times). Comments on Trip Advisor where 100% positive. Then along came the keyboard warrior who obviously had a warped sense of his own importance and posted some vile derogatory comments which upset my friend so much he nearly quit. Fortunately there followed a hailstorm of posts supporting my friend and offering quite explicit advice as to where the other bloke should go !!
Don,t be put off by comments from unseen posters. It,s obvious that the vast majority of members here support your posts.
Incidently, my friend stopped looking at Trip Advisor and was no worse off for that.
Good luck.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Levisp wrote: Having now read the posts I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Am I missing something ?

Yep, that's what I was getting at. Casbar's observations are fair too!
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Sorry to see you go really enjoyed watching your progress from the start and hope you reconsider staying. Whatever you decide all the best for the future.
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

don't go!
2012 SE
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Stick around. I enjoyed your videos, and they've provoked some interesting thoughts on my (and your) riding.
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

Lots of know it alls on forums of any kind. I also watched your videos and thought everything seemed just fine. No need to do a forensic audit. It’s actually funny. My nephew was 15 years old when he entered the SBK circuit but you will still get a bunch of hardcore, old, ‘hard men’ with their 90 horsepower tourers that can’t lean through a corner without scraping telling him how to ride. I was on the R1200RT forum on Facebook for one week before I left. Same thing. As an ex Harley rider I thought this nonsense just went on in Harley forums but apparently I am wrong. Definitely some ‘experts’ on riding skills in here. Seen it already myself. See you on YouTube.
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I have enjoyed your videos so please re think your decision to leave.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I hope you reconsider your decision to leave.  Your videos are thought provoking and remind me of my own progression to IAM and that there is always plenty of scope to learn.  Being charitable, text/email/etc can sometimes land awkwardly and what jumps off the screen may not be what the author intended, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.  Where no doubt exists  - ignore 'em! 

There will always be snipers on forums these days, but thankfully they are few on this one.  Why that should be so is a mystery to me; we are all trying to share something we enjoy.  Perhaps it says more about the sniper than the target.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you, ride safe, and thanks for the insights.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

He wasn't joking was he! Oh well, what will we do now? Oil thread anyone?  ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
julianq

Post by julianq »

Do agree with him, scroll on or leave negative comments. Personally I know I am on a learning curve and have no desire to share my learning with the public, mates and other riders present are enough.
JQ 2007 R1200RT