Garmin BaseCamp - .gdb or .gpx files

Have you got a decent route to share with us? please post it here along the the gpx file for others to download and enjoy. We would love to hear about your best biking roads and routes.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Garmin BaseCamp - .gdb or .gpx files

Post by David. »

After creating a Garmin BaseCamp route, when Exporting (saving) the route to a folder in my PC, there is an option to select which file type, either .gdb or .gpx.

These files can then be shared by email attachments. Have had experience of some folks preferring .gdb & others .gpx.

I don't understand what the difference is, please can anyone help & explain, thanks.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin BaseCamp - gdb. or gpx. files

Post by k9doc »

.gpx files have no time component whereas .gdb files do.

I know of old that you like to work out your routes based on time and distance. If you then send me a .gpx file, I will  check under the map and in the small print I will only see distance. With a .gdb file I will see distance and associated time. A .gpx file is a list of waypoints or via points linked up by mapsource/basecamp whereas the .gdb file is a route file with your designated speeds for certain road types added in.
Hope this helps. Doesn't eliminate hard to negotiate P stops with either file type though.  :)

PS .gpx files can be read by several routing programmes whereas .gdb are garmin specific.

Hence the need to ascertain which GPS device the potential recipient of your hard work possessed. If garmin, send .gdb. If TomTom or other, send .gpx and their device will then convert this waypoint list in effect into a route which it can follow.
Last edited by k9doc on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

If you do import a .gpx route into Basecamp it's easy enough to change it to a .gdb file  adding the time to run component by double clicking the route in the lower left box and using the recalculate function.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Re: Garmin BaseCamp - .gdb or .gpx files

Post by David. »

The query was raised after sending a .gdb file to BMW Nav V user, he usually puts .gpx files into his GPS device.

Perhaps BMW devices (although made by Garmin) act the same as TomTom or other in not accepting .gdb files.

Emailed .gpx file & all now appears to be fine.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

If you create a route on Mapsource/Basecamp and download to your device you can download into the internal memory in your device as a .gdb. If there is discrepancy between map versions on your computer and device or you download to the SD card in your unit, then I think the file is imported as a .gpx and then recalculated by your unit into a .gdb as it imports that route into it's internal memory. Two possible reasons there why the Nav 5 chap may have had problems. Don't know if the Nav 5 imports direct into internal memory or via the SD card. Maybe someone will enlighten.

I regularly send routes in .gdb format to my mate who has a BMW version of a Zumo 660 with no problems at all. Another mate has the Zumo 550 and that always recalculates the route after being prompted to import. Probably have different operating systems, way beyond my pay grade.
Last edited by k9doc on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I believe that the BMW Nav IV is a version of the Zumo 660.

Perhaps BMW in their quest for exclusivity with the Nav V have just over complicated things, wouldn't be the first time.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: I believe that the BMW Nav IV is a version of the Zumo 660.

Perhaps BMW in their quest for exclusivity with the Nav V have just over complicated things, wouldn't be the first time.

Different software on the IV, it also lost its speaker and changed to a micro usb.  Both the IV and the V have superior quality screens though.  I now have a 590 and although many thing are better on it that the V the screen is not.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

k9doc wrote:
Hope this helps. Doesn't eliminate hard to negotiate P stops with either file type though. :)
It's a right bugger when you reach an age where a POI file for public toilets is more use than filling stations.  I guess POIs for McDonalds would do the same. 
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Sprintgull wrote: It's a right bugger when you reach an age where a POI file for public toilets is more use than filling stations.  I guess POIs for McDonalds would do the same.
I would have thought a Pee On Impulse file would be a necessity on the GPS of any gentleman of a certain age. I think it's a free download courtesy of Saga.
Chris
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: PS .gpx files can be read by several routing programmes whereas .gdb are garmin specific.

Hence the need to ascertain which GPS device the potential recipient of your hard work possessed. If garmin, send .gdb. If TomTom or other, send .gpx and their device will then convert this waypoint list in effect into a route which it can follow.

Hi Chris, When David sent me the routes for the Leicester trip they were .gdb files, I opened them using 'tyre' and the routes were displayed perfectly in that program (happy chappie) unfortunately though, it also informed me that there was too many 'way points' to be used with my device (tomtom rider v2) and I'd have to reduce the amount before transferring to the device (not so happy anymore) there was about 150 way points per route which needed to be reduced to 48 inclusive of start & finish points for my sat nav. I've managed to reduce the amount of way points (and moved a few) whilst observing that the route stays the same on the map. Would using..gpx files remove the need for me to do this?  Cheers Sim.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

simbo wrote: Hi Chris, When David sent me the routes for the Leicester trip they were .gdb files, I opened them using 'tyre' and the routes were displayed perfectly in that program (happy chappie) unfortunately though, it also informed me that there was too many 'way points' to be used with my device (tomtom rider v2) and I'd have to reduce the amount before transferring to the device (not so happy anymore) there was about 150 way points per route which needed to be reduced to 48 inclusive of start & finish points for my sat nav. I've managed to reduce the amount of way points (and moved a few) whilst observing that the route stays the same on the map. Would using..gpx files remove the need for me to do this?  Cheers Sim.
Hi simbo, this is where it starts to get complicated and I hasten to add that I am in no way a geek on this subject. Any opinions expressed are exactly that based on my understanding of this complex subject. (That's the health warning bit).

Not sure on your specific point and it depends I think, on how the route was created. Basecamp is what I use now and my recollections re Mapsource are a bit fuzzy, and Tyre-TomTom even fuzzier.
When you build a route on Basecamp you have Via points and shaping points, the former I think the equivalent of Waypoints. As you bend the route to your will in Basecamp, each of those points could become either Way(Via)point or Shaping point, the difference being whether they are announced or not during the navigation. If announced, my understanding is that they would become Via(Way)points and unannounced would be route shaping points. These choices can be made in the route dialogue box associated with the route that you have just built.
Now in the 'Edit - Options - Device Transfer' menu you have the option to strip out the shaping points or not on transfer. If I were to use the option, I think I would check it against the original just to be sure.
If shaping points were stripped out, I suspect that the 150 Waypoints could be somewhat reduced but the danger is that you might end up riding a different route to David, hence the need to check.

In conclusion I suspect that the answer to your original point would be '.gdb or .gpx? Don't think it would make any difference.'
This is where someone comes along and tells the world that all the above is utter bollox.  :-\
Last edited by k9doc on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Apparently, "both the BMW Nav IV and V have superior quality screens" to those of the Garmin Zumo GPS devices.

Therefore, you'll be able to see more clearly when you are riding a different route.

If in doubt & to avoid any confusion, just follow the guy in front.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: If in doubt & to avoid any confusion, just follow the guy in front.

This is what I will be doing 👍 I'll still put the sat nav on just to see if it follows the same route or not though? 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If all else fails, I'll dig out some postcodes.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Myroute-app gets good reviews, rather than using Basecamp. Works with a Mac as well. Haven't tried it yet though.