R1200RS vs R1200RT for those interested

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest5112

R1200RS vs R1200RT for those interested

Post by guest5112 »

I traded a RS on my RT just a couple of months ago. Must say, I miss certain things about the RS. It is 80 lbs lighter for one. The RS felt quite a bit quicker and more agile than the RT. This all said, it’s a little unfair to compare the bikes on that basis since the RS is seen by BMW as a sport bike whereas the RT is categorized as a tourer and I would say that is about right. RS does not come standard with panniers and if you purchase the BMW ones that are setup so that you can use your bike key to lock and unlock, its somewhere around $1000. Other than the space under the pillion which could hold a wallet, there is no other on-bike storage.

The RS has a 3/4 tuck riding position which for me meant stops every 45 minutes to an hour to stretch my legs. I am 6ft4 though, so others may be better off than me. That seating position is also a little rough on the gooch area if you are getting on in age lol. As expected wind protection on the RS is nowhere near where it is with the RT.

If anyone in North Carolina wants a RS, the bike I traded which has low miles is still standing at Garcia Moto for a steal. Doesn’t seem to be a very popular choice.
Last edited by guest5112 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: R1200RS vs R1200RT for those interested

Post by T6pilot »

My neighbor just left my house, expounding on how much better is new GS is compared to my RT, I asked him how he likes his satellite radio, or his heated seat, or electric windshield, etc etc. yes its 80 pounds lighter than the RT, start adding cases and all the other goodies GS riders always seem to add and the weight difference gets a lot smaller. Yes the GS is a little more nimble, but Waite till you pass a 18 wheeler, that’s gets sporty at times. Different bikes, can’t say one is better than the other, touring you can’t beat a RTLC, just saying
Jim
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

Agree Jim. I am very happy with my choice plus I traded for a reason. I plan to actually do some longer distance touring. Horses for courses I say. I might add a Supermoto to my garage - perhaps the KTM 690 enduro for that lightweight hooligan ride when you want it  ^-^  I looked at the GS but I wanted actual wind protection. Not a ornamental windscreen  ^-^
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

good points made I've been on the RT about 4 years & love it But do miss the sporty type of bikes I've always ridden [don't miss the pain] been thinking about the RS as a in-between type Will only know once I test ride one 
guest5221

Post by guest5221 »

I have been on a very roundabout route from a 2005 RT to a 1300GT (that got me through my Blue Riband and IAM) to several 1300S's and after much soul-searching and test rides I have just traded in for a new RT due in March. My riding is pretty much split between a 180 mile daily commute to central London and touring - averaging 15,000 pa. I love the K but in BMW's wisdom their decision to scrap it led me to worry about support, parts and warranty etc. So I looked long and hard and the only bike that seemed (on paper) to be close was the RS. I tried several times to love it but after a number of test rides I just could not get my head around the strange instrument panel, the terrible screen (for my height/size), its lack of filtering capability due to the weird wing mirror positions and the ugly panniers but what was clear was the [size=2px]superb [/size]engine. I joined the RS forum and it seemed to be filled with people trying to rectify design issues and screen issues and drew the conclusion that there were clearly many more issues with the bike that need sorting. So here I am - nearly back where I started. I do not proclaim my views are correct or more valid than anyone else - as has been said many times on this forum we are all different and all the better for that. I am more excited waiting for this new bike than any other so far and already have two Euro trips booked - I admit to being a bit apprehensive about the increased weight over my K (I dropped my first RT several times!) but I am looking forward to having a real screen, long range comfort and a radio! No doubt will be asking for help with the technology in due course!
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

Very interesting perspectives. I live in the USA where filtering is illegal in the majority of states so never noticed the mirror issue on the RS. The other thing guys were always trying to fix was the seat. Now I have a theory on that. The RS does not appeal to the boy racer (they can buy a faster, noisier bike at the Japanese dealership for $10k less), so I am thinking it’s not the seat that’s the issue but a bunch of older guys trying to perch themselves upon a sport bike with a 3/4 tuck riding position. Then there is the auxiliary power. Why BMW could not have included a auxiliary power outlet at that premium price, only they will know. Other than those things I loved that bike. I especially love how it would try rip your hands off the grips every time you opened the throttle no matter which gear you were in. Ferocious acceleration in almost any gear.
Rhun

Post by Rhun »

I've had a 17 plate RS as a loaner twice whilst my RT had been in for warranty work (and a Rallye, a R1200R, f700gs and S1000xr but that's another story...).

The RS engine and handling is awesome and I found it very easy to filter with. However the screen and general weather protection was awful for me no matter the screen position. I'm 6 foot and all torso which probably didn't help. Props to the bike though, I did take it to Inverness and back through the cairngorms in pitch black during storm ophelia and me and the Mrs didn't die.

Wouldn't choose it over then standard GS or R1200R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk