Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

Post by jackronner »

I want to slightly rotate the brake lever up about 1/2 inch.  Before I start messing with it, will I find that the brake lever unit is fixed in place on the bar, by a ridge fitting into the unit, etc.,  and therefore incapable of being rotated?  Also, can I alternatively loosen the main screw of the bar tube (at the inner end) and then just rotate the tube itself?  Will I have to withdraw the tube completely first (I anticipate that the end will be ridged to prevent rotation around its axis)?  Will removing it necessitate removing the various cables?  I kind of miss the old-fashioned bars;  it would have been much easier with them.  Thanks.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

Post by temesvar »

I have a 2008 RT and it should be very much same as yours. Have altered the bars, so have all the controllers open right now.
Yes, you can rotate the assembly either way you like, it is not locked in a certain position on the tube, as I thought it may be. However will
not be able to rotate the tube. At least I couldn't hammer it out, it is press fit! So you can do it easy enough by opening the controller set,
turn it to your desired position, retighten and off you go. I imagine would like to do the same on the clutch side. If need any help or pictures,
have everything apart right now. I should get the bars back and re install them by the end of the week.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

Post by jackronner »

Thanks for the help.  I certainly found the right guy out there.