Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

Post by jackronner »

[size=2px]I want to slightly rotate the brake lever up about 1/2 inch.  Before I start messing with it, will I find that the brake lever unit is fixed in place on the bar, by a ridge fitting into the unit, etc.,  and therefore incapable of being rotated?  Also, can I alternatively loosen the main screw of the bar tube (at the inner end) and then just rotate the tube itself?  Will I have to withdraw the tube completely first (I anticipate that the end will be ridged to prevent rotation around its axis)?  Will removing it necessitate removing the various cables?  I kind of miss the old-fashioned bars;  it would have been much easier with them.  Thanks.[/size]
FransDanielle

Re: Rotating brake lever attachment on handlebar 2005 R1200RT

Post by FransDanielle »

I've got exactly the same problem and I don't want to start messing with it either. Me too I would like to rotate the brake lever and clutch lever a bit (downwards) but I haven't figured out yet whether or not this can be done on my R1200RT(13). I've noticed that you didn't get any reply to your question. Meanwhile, were you (or your garage/dealer) able to rotate these levers ?  If so, could you tell me how that was done ? Kind regards, Frans (Belgium).

temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Thought i replied to this thread, may be on another forum.
Your bike is a newer model, but i don't see why would be
much different. You can turn both assemblies by opening them,
and will find a clamp like that you can loosen up and turn to
the desired position. See attach. As far as turning the bar after
loosening the screw that holds it, forget it! The bar is press fit
and will not turn at all!
Attachments
IMG_0913.JPG
FransDanielle

Post by FransDanielle »

Thank you for taking the time to reply. My handlebars are similar/identical to yours but the switch assemblies on it are somewhat different. Most important for me is to know that it is possible to turn the levers up/down and that I'll find clamps inside these assemblies to turn the brake/clutch levers. It would be very unlikely that such adjustments were not possible on these BMW's.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Those inside clamps not only allow to turn the lever assembly on the bar, they also
determine the position in or out! I remember was out slightly and the throttle would
not turn because of it. Make sure you just rotate, and keep the location from the
end of the bar same. And it may not be easy to find them screws that keep the assembly
together. Once you split it, will see the clamp.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Wow.  I cast that line out there so long ago I'd lost hope of getting a bite!!  Thanks for the reply, but I've solved the problem this issue was related to.  I do remember that figuring what to unscrew and where was very puzzling.  Excellent caution about maintaining the lateral placement of the unit, and I might suggest that whoever attempts this put a piece of electrical tape/ink marker etc. on the tube showing the original  position of the unit on the tube.