RT mirrors anchoring

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

RT mirrors anchoring

Post by jackronner »

Just a general alert with a simple fix.  Lost both my mirrors in traffic (don't ask!).  Turns out they are only attached by three ball joint posts seated loosely in rubber receivers.  Per a suggestion on this site, I've simply looped a zip-tie through the mirror and base plate.  They can still pop out, but the tie will stop it after an inch or so.  Just be sure to leave enough of a "tail" on the tie near the outer edge to allow you to grasp it to make it easier to cut the tie to afford you access when removing the body panels, etc. underneath the mirror.
mcwhirtj

Re: RT mirrors anchoring

Post by mcwhirtj »

On my '08 RT, their is a metal wire connecting the mirror to the fairing, so there is no way to "lose" the mirror if it is knocked loose.  I assume that was standard?  (I bought my bike used, so could have been added after the fact by the previous owner).  How do I know about this?  Like you said  .... don't ask.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

mcwhirtj wrote: On my '08 RT, their is a metal wire connecting the mirror to the fairing, so there is no way to "lose" the mirror if it is knocked loose.  I assume that was standard?  (I bought my bike used, so could have been added after the fact by the previous owner).  How do I know about this?  Like you said  .... don't ask.

I think it's optional.  I've seen them for about $6 in official BMW parts catalogues.  But the wire seemed so long that I feared the dangling mirror would flap around in the breeze if it came off at speed,  maybe scratching the body panels.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

mcwhirtj wrote: On my '08 RT, their is a metal wire connecting the mirror to the fairing, so there is no way to "lose" the mirror if it is knocked loose. I assume that was standard? (I bought my bike used, so could have been added after the fact by the previous owner). How do I know about this? Like you said .... don't ask.
I have a 2008 and no metal wire. Must be a preventive measurement  added by the prev. owner. Since you have them and are long, am sure you can loop them such way to make them shorter. One will never know how valuable is to have them anchored until loses a mirror!
Zip ties are cheap, mirrors are not!