What can you tell me about the 2017 RT--good or bad

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

What can you tell me about the 2017 RT--good or bad

Post by wethead »

Thinking about a 2017. Would love your input
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
bandytales

Re: What can you tell me about the 2017 RT--good or bad

Post by bandytales »

wethead wrote: Thinking about a 2017. Would love your input

To do what? What have you got at the moment?
wethead

Post by wethead »

I travel cross country all Summer. Currently have a Wing
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

wethead wrote: I travel cross country all Summer. Currently have a Wing
Well, the RT will feel a lot more agile.
It will also feel cramped.
With an aftermarket screen on it (such as the Werks Quiet Ride) the air management will probably feel better on the RTW.
Luggagewise, not much in it.
Performance...different, I think I haven't got enough experience with the wing to give a balanced viewpoint on that.
Noise - the 'Wing should be quieter.
Braking - The Wethead will win.
Comfort - The 'Wing by a country mile.

Does that make the RTW a bad bike? NO! Just very different.

wethead

Post by wethead »

I have travelled on RT cross country before so I am aware of those traits you pointed out.

I guess I am more interested to know if there have been any improvements on the 2017 over the earlier wethead.

Like, does the tranny still clunks? Any glitches with the electronic wheel, any changes on the interface menu

Seems like lots of companies nowadays don't do much to certain models from one year to the other.

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

wethead wrote: I guess I am more interested to know if there have been any improvements on the 2017 over the earlier wethead.

There have been tiny changes between model years. The 2017 model has been a useful one as the transmission is significantly smoother to change gear...with one exception. Once the engine is warm going from neutral into first is greeted with a loudish clunk. All other selections are silky smooth.
Other than that, there is nothing really to note in terms of changes that I have spotted.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

bandytales wrote:
There have been tiny changes between model years. The 2017 model has been a useful one as the transmission is significantly smoother to change gear...with one exception. Once the engine is warm going from neutral into first is greeted with a loudish clunk. All other selections are silky smooth.
Other than that, there is nothing really to note in terms of changes that I have spotted.

I have a 2017 model and can confirm it is a brilliant machine in every way - but, when warm, neutral to first is almost always noisy. Quickly forgotten about once on the move .....  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
wethead

Post by wethead »

On my last '16RT the neutral-first klunk would literally shake the bike. I can't imagine that would not be a destructive pattern over the long life of the bike.

I have always rolled to a stop and pop in neutral to rest my clutch gripology. But with these RT/s the best suggestion I heard coming to a red light was to put it in first, turn the engine off.

On the other hand, that is going to promote wear and tear on the batt and the starter...I would guess.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

wethead wrote: On my last '16RT the neutral-first klunk would literally shake the bike. I can't imagine that would not be a destructive pattern over the long life of the bike.

Yet, amazingly, we have not heard of any issues with the gearbox, and some of the owners of these Wetheads have now piled on some high mileages!
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

wethead wrote: On my last '16RT the neutral-first klunk would literally shake the bike. I can't imagine that would not be a destructive pattern over the long life of the bike.
I have always rolled to a stop and pop in neutral to rest my clutch gripology. But with these RT/s the best suggestion I heard coming to a red light was to put it in first, turn the engine off.
On the other hand, that is going to promote wear and tear on the batt and the starter...I would guess.
Sorry to barge in, but if my bike is more "agricultural" then the Harley next to me, it is gone! :nervous:
Never thought of trading my bike in, but you sure are not encourage it!
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

I moved from a 2007 RT to a brand new 2017 model and the difference is huge. Enjoyed previous bike but love the feel of the wet head. No issues with it as a great bike in its own right but I can imagine it's a leap of faith to come off a wing. I guess the only downside is BMW certainly know how to charge serious money for their Motorcycles
wethead

Post by wethead »

temesvar wrote: Sorry to barge in, but if my bike is more "agricultural" then the Harley next to me, it is gone! :nervous:
Never thought of trading my bike in, but you sure are not encourage it!

Geez...I am not encouraging you to trade your bike. I simply shared my own experience for the sake of conversation, not be accused by assumptions to what I said.

And, what is a more 'agricultural' bike? I did not get that at all.

If you don't mind, I like to discuss motorcycle issues on an objective manner. My sentiments, my love power, my sense of self identity is not tied to a motorcycle manufacturing brand.

For your information: I have owned 4 RT/s and a K16. Its not like I don't like the bikes. Then again, personally, I do not need to defend them against the world either.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

wethead wrote: Geez...I am not encouraging you to trade your bike. I simply shared my own experience for the sake of conversation, not be accused by assumptions to what I said.
And, what is a more 'agricultural' bike? I did not get that at all.
If you don't mind, I like to discuss motorcycle issues on an objective manner. My sentiments, my love power, my sense of self identity is not tied to a motorcycle manufacturing brand.
For your information: I have owned 4 RT/s and a K16. Its not like I don't like the bikes. Then again, personally, I do not need to defend them against the world either.
Am just gonna respond to your first line: am not accusing you of anything! Is all in the sake of conversation.
wethead

Post by wethead »

ok, lets move on then.

I am still curious as to what is an 'agricultural' bike?
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Will give an example, and I hope you will not jump all over for:
Have your car next to a farm tractor! Your car, ( I hope) is a fine, refined street machine!
The tractor is a agricultural machine! The car is smooth, quiet when it takes off. The tractor
is noisy, shakes when in gear, in other words, "agricultural" which is fine for what it was built!
And that is the best I can do! :kacsint2: