Insurance

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
vulcanbike
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Re: Insurance

Post by vulcanbike »

I live on the west coast, Vancouver Island. From our rip off system, no other choice, the plate and basic liabilty on my 2011 RT is £568 I buy the collision,fire, theft, and another £1.36 million of liabilty for an additional £230 . Thats a grand total of £798 for the year. Oh and by the way that is with 50 year clean driving record.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

average salaries, tax burden, quality of life etc are very different between Canada and the UK, so you can't really compare insurance costs against each other.

guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Despite the fact that everyone in the UK likes to moan about the price of vehicle insurance, it's actually very reasonable given the high risk and values involved.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

ds99 wrote: average salaries, tax burden, quality of life etc are very different between Canada and the UK, so you can't really compare insurance costs against each other.
I would like to believe you know what you are talking about. I don't know UK, but know Germany and of course, Ontario, where I live.
If you have questions about quality of life, average salaries and tax burden, PM me, and will tell you all you want to know. Am not
going to mention it here, as that is not a pleasant subject! What will mention though, is that by law, we have two weeks vacation a year.
Some company offer another week after 5 years, but that is at their discretion. How many weeks do you have as vacation, and how much
are you getting paid for? How many paid holidays you have a year? Most people work over 60 h/week to make ends meet. How many hours
a week do you work?? Will leave it at this, and enjoy where you live!
ds99

Post by ds99 »

google 'zero hours contracts' or 'social care funding' and you can see what a state the uk is in.

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

ds99 wrote: google 'zero hours contracts' or 'social care funding' and you can see what a state the uk is in.
According to the latest estimates from the 'Labour Force Survey' as of Sept 17, 2.8% of the working population are on Zero Hours contracts of which around 25% want more hours. I make that around 97.2% of our workforce not on zero hours contracts and a fair number that are, content with the hours they have.
Hardly grounds for denigrating the motherland.
Agree we need more money for Social Care Funding, but it's the paying for it that is problematic.
Don't want to drift into political debate, but certain statements shouldn't go unchallenged.
Can't comment on the situation in Canada as I know SFA about the place.  :whistle:
Last edited by k9doc on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

k9doc wrote: Can't comment on the situation in Canada as I know SFA about the place. :whistle:
My friend, I know SFA about the situation in UK as well, How ever, if you are a tradesman,
and find no work, I will admit you have a problem. And somehow I don't think that is the case.
There is always work for people that know what they are doing and are willing to work! JMHO
Correct me if am wrong!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My renewal arrived yesterday, £442 for two bikes & one car on a six wheel policy with Carole Nash, an increase of 5.25%.

This includes a broker fee of £70 which was waived last year.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Mines due in a couple of months .... Dreading it ..  :nervous:
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David. wrote: My renewal arrived yesterday, £442 for two bikes & one car on a six wheel policy with Carole Nash, an increase of 5.25%.

This includes a broker fee of £70 which was waived last year.

I have just gone back to Carole Nash from Admiral. Admiral insurance went up excessively with no change to circumstances. So did the compare insurance drama. Then phoned CN to see if they could match best quote. With a bit of negotiation they did ! Result back with CN again. Seems I have to do this farce every year now. With European breakdown recovery included in premium, was just the excuse to do a short trip. Just come back from the Black Forest. Lovely roads and not a pothole in sight. Isn't insurance fun  :)
OOF
Great Britain

Post by OOF »

Always question the renewal cost and ask if they ca do better. Clearly the can and do since new customers can be at reacted by large discounts. Why Bike insurance companies don't reward loyalty and prefer rip off tactics is beyond me. I stayed with IAM Surity expecting to leave after this years price hike, but stayed when challenged my premium fell to what I believe is an acceptable level.
To the contrary, my wife's care premium (which I pay for) was £100 cheaper than last years without even asking!
R1250RT LE 2019
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Phoned CN, reducing the value of the RT & car has lowered the premium by just less than a tenner.

IAM Surety are still not competitive for me, they don't do a six wheel policy & two separate policies would come in at a combined total of £44 more than CN.

Awaiting a call back from BMW Motorrad Insurance for a quote on the two bikes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Awaiting a call back from BMW Motorrad Insurance for a quote on the two bikes.
BMW have come back with over £300 for both bikes, I'd then have to insure the car separately.

Looks like I'll be staying with CN for another year. Their policy includes UK & European breakdown cover too.