Alternative to Clearwater lights

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Alternative to Clearwater lights

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi Everyone
I'm looking to fit spot lights on to the engine bars and wondered if there is a GOOD alternative to the Clear water lights due to the cost.
If needed I'd put a switch in one of the 4 blanks on the audio panel as I wouldn't want another switch on the handle bars.

Any thoughts or is anyone selling any.
Many thanks

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Alternative to Clearwater lights

Post by k9doc »

Here's an idea. Good price (for a tight wad), saves messing around with the bike and less to disintegrate from corrosion. Also cheaper than a new Shoei.

Last edited by k9doc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Thanks for the suggestion K9doc and what a helmet :eek:

k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

michaelc2710 wrote: Thanks for the suggestion K9doc and what a helmet :eek:
Thought you'd be pleased and the colour sets it off, handy peak to keep the sun out of your eyes as well so again saving the need for expensive shades. Win win.
Chris
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

K9doc nice alternative to shoei but pointless if no link or at least name of shop THANKS.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

BoB21 wrote: K9doc nice alternative to shoei but pointless if no link or at least name of shop THANKS.
Fair point. Can't remember exactly where I saw them but could have been either 'Screwfix' or 'Tourabobthebuildertech'. I think they do one with a BMW sticker for around £600. Hurry while stocks last.
PS Apologies to michael for messing with his serious request.  :kacsint2:
Chris
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Yeah sorry Michael and thanks k9doc going to get BMW sticker ed one as worth more if re sell.  Besides get discount from that shop.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Been looking into this as well. Denali make some good lights, look at the D4s. They can be bought in the UK from Sportsbikshop and Sports Touring. The kicker is, to run them from a RT (because of can bus) you need something to control them. That means either a Hex Ezcan (only available from the US) or Cansmart, which is a re-branded Hex Ezcan specific for Denali lights, this can be bought in the UK. Both have similar functions, can run lights, horn, brake lights etc, will allow you to control from your existing switches, set for daytime lighting and dark and full beam etc, can be dimmed from the wonder wheel. But again, Hex Ezcan are two wire connections, Denali lights are 3 wire, so you can experience flicker at below 40% dim. If you use the Cansmart, they fit as Cansmart is 3 wire, so you get dimming etc. Both Denali and Clearwater also make a bracket that fits under the wing mirrors for the RT if you want the lights higher. The other function which the Hex Ezcan has, is you can switch off the aux light next to the indicator, so the light doesn't wash out the indicator. The Cansmart doesn't have this function, not an issue though if you have the lights lower down.

After all that, I decided I would stick with my BMW aux lights and save my money :). There is a South African company that is also making something that allows you to connect accessories to the Can bus. Clearwater use a similar setup, called a can opener.
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Thanks for the information Casbar, I looked at the Ezcan controllers but I'm struggling to justify the overall cost.
I thought about running a feed wire from the usb charger to a relay and then a trigger wire from a switch in the n/s stereo cover, that way the lights would switch off with the bike but I do like the idea of using the OEM switch gear and wonder wheel.

Are the BMW lights a good option or are they not very bright?

michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Casbar there is some good info on the bmwmoa.org with different options for LC
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The BMW aux lights are very good at night, they are also good during the day, but you can't switch them on with the Halo lights, so if I think I need more visibility, I switch off the auto lights and then you can put the aux lights on. I have never struggled at night, with the standard lights and aux, but thought about a bit more visibility during the day. So now I have the answer.

I pretty much looked at all the options, but couldn't really justify the cost of clearwater etc. I already have Skene P3 rear LEDs, which do not need Hex or anything, they wire straight in. Read somewhere, that Halo, aux lights and wearing some high vis stuff makes you pretty visible during the day. Unless you are doing a lot of night riding and need floods, I couldn't really justify the cost of extra lights :)
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Well the Hex ezcan is ordered so hopefully this time next week I'll be messing about in the garage wiring it in,
Not to bad a price after the exchange rate, £158 including delivery, just need to order some lights and a soundbomb, best not let her in doors find out  :silence: [size=78%]  [/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I will be interested to see how you get on. Good price on the Ez Can, but you will still get charged VAT, and probably 5% import duty, but let us know the final cost of the can. Where are you going to fit your lights?
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

The invoice states import tax paid £26.50. so I'm hoping that will be the full amount.
I'm looking at the mirror mounts as I dropped my engine bars of for powder coating today, (black with silver flake) plus I like the idea of the lights independently switching off when the indicator is activated.