Changing battery - 2014 R1200RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Omobono

Changing battery - 2014 R1200RT

Post by Omobono »

Dear all,
I am a very satisfied owner of a model 2014 R1200RT, bought used by me around one year ago.
Last Sunday the battery abandoned me in my garage, dying suddenly on me (no electricity in the garage, I have ridden with the bike every three weeks all winter to avoid issues, none until Sunday). All connections are fine, I think the battery might just have come to the end of its natural life.

I would like to be directed to some youtube video showing:

1. how to access the battery,
2. how to to properly extract it from the tiny "hole" where it is now (I can only see the positive pole), and
3. how to properly avoid issue with the electronics of the bike when disconnecting and connecting again.

The only ting I have done up to now is to unscrew the two tiny screws on the side plastic cover. Again, the battery is very difficult to access and I can only see the positive pole, how on earth does one do if he needs to jump start it?

Thanks to all in advance

Omobono

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Changing battery - 2014 R1200RT

Post by David. »

Sorry, haven't found a video, however, all the info. required is in the Rider's Manual.

https://ownersmanuals2.com/bmw/r-1200-r ... 8/page-152

The negative (black) terminal is the one that can be seen attached to the top of the battery.
The terminal to the RHS of the battery is the jump start/positive post.
The positive (red) battery terminal can only be seen by partially removing the battery.

In this photo, the battery negative terminal & the jump start/positive post have been used to bolt on a battery charger lead.
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omobono

Post by Omobono »

Many thanks David and please forgive my awful ignorance (I am really bad at these things!) as I still struggle to understand how things work.

I can see the negative terminal, but is that little screw on the right hand side with a red cable attached to its lest and another little cable on its right the "positive post?" That thins is very tiny, can one attach the jump starter to that? Or am I missing something?

(I have seen the instructions in the manual but they seem to indicate how to extract the damn thing (to put it back must be a lot of fun)).

Again, apologies for the total ignorance in the matter, my other bike is an old Moto Guzzi where you open the seat and the battery is there in all its glory, terminals and all... 
Omobono

Post by Omobono »

As I am abusing of your patience already, which maintenance-free battery would you suggest for the 2014 R1200RT? I'd like to avoid spending more for the "branded" product if I can.
Thanks
O
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Omobono wrote:I can see the negative terminal, but is that little screw on the right hand side with a red cable attached to its lest and another little cable on its right the "positive post?" That thins is very tiny, can one attach the jump starter to that?
Because the battery positive terminal is not accessible without partially removing the battery, BMW have kindly provided what amounts to an auxiliary positive battery terminal for attaching jump start leads to.
Omobono wrote:I have seen the instructions in the manual but they seem to indicate how to extract the damn thing (to put it back must be a lot of fun).
There are also installation instructions in the Rider's Manual.
Tones

Post by Tones »

Weird how BMW place consumables in hard to reach places. I used to have R1100R, the battery was under the tank, making changing the battery an absolute nightmare. Luckily my 09 RT is easy, took 10 minutes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Omobono wrote:Which maintenance-free battery would you suggest for the 2014 R1200RT? I'd like to avoid spending more for the "branded" product if I can.
This website, http://www.largiader.com/articles/whichbat.html, recommends the following, "61 21 8 531 121 14AH AGM for R1200RTW, same as Yuasa YTX16-BS"

Prices do vary, this one from Halfords seems very reasonable, http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorc ... la-battery
Omobono

Post by Omobono »

Many, many thanks David!

So if I want to try to jump start the battery I will use "that little screw on the right hand side with a red cable attached to its lest and another little cable on its right the "positive post?" I am assuming that was right, but again I prefer to be safe.

Also, are there any precautions to follow to avoid the electronics playing tricks on me afterwards? A colleague had a Fiat where the battery was changed by a non FIAT dealer and after that the stop-start did not work anymore, I have also read horrible stories about this battery changes in electronics-rich cars so I wonder...

Thanks again!

O 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Omobono wrote:Also, are there any precautions to follow to avoid the electronics playing tricks on me afterwards?
The Rider's Manual says that the Time & Date will need re-setting after changing the battery.
Omobono

Post by Omobono »

Thanks again!
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Sorry, haven't found a video, however, all the info. required is in the Rider's Manual.

https://ownersmanuals2.com/bmw/r-1200-rt-2016-owners-manual-65448/page-152

The negative (black) terminal is the one that can be seen attached to the top of the battery.
The terminal to the RHS of the battery is the jump start/positive post.
The positive (red) battery terminal can only be seen by partially removing the battery.

In this photo, the battery negative terminal & the jump start/positive post have been used to bolt on a battery charger lead.

Similar set up on my lads 3 series, Negative point (chassis) and positive post under the bonnet for jump starting but the batteries under the floor in the boot/trunk. Peugeot seem to have adopted a similar set up too.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)