General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: RT STOLEN - just now...

Post by B787MECH »

Casbar wrote:
Not totally true, on another forum one of the guys was discussing bike thefts with a couple of police officers and they said use a disc lock as the eastern European gangs look for easy targets, so if they see a disc lock they will move onto another target. So IMHO, its better to have one, than not.
[/quote
My place of work (Heathrow T5) has had numerous bike thefts and the 'modus operandi' as shown on the CCTV is this:-
A large van pulls up next to the bike park
A gang gets out and any bikes not physically chained to something immovable are picked up using two scaffold poles and put in the van.
Disc locks are irrelevant as the bike is picked up and alarms are ignored by the majority as a nuisance and the van is insulated which muffles the noise anyway.
That's the state of modern Britain nowadays and is particularly bad in the London area.
Any deterrent is better than nothing of course but it's virtually impossible to stop them if they really want it.
The best course of action is not to leave you bike in a vulnerable place if at all possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ds99

Re: RT STOLEN - just now...

Post by ds99 »

i think the general view is the more security the better. if you have a disc lock, the biker is covered, alarmed, chained to something, off the road... then they will move onto something easier.

of course if they really want your bike they will have it

eg

[size=2px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZSp_8QxEM[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
but most thieves are lazy, opportunists who don't want to spend time on it