oily residue on lower pant leg

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

oily residue on lower pant leg

Post by slowvet »

This one is stumping me. The last 6 months or so I'm noticing an oily, dirty patch on my lower right pants cuff near the boot. Nothing on the left boot side. I've checked for leaks, etc. Very peculiar.
bandytales

Re: oily residue on lower pant leg

Post by bandytales »

slowvet wrote: This one is stumping me. The last 6 months or so I'm noticing an oily, dirty patch on my lower right pants cuff near the boot. Nothing on the left boot side. I've checked for leaks, etc. Very peculiar.

Take off the lower fairing on that side. Wash the bike and allow it to dry. In dry conditions ride the bike and then puff talcum powder in the areas forward of your foot. See it there is a start point where the talc starts adhering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

This does remind me of very similar occasion when I returned home after a Dealer service. My right boot had a thin film of oil on it. Investigation by me showed that the rubber seal which fits around the spark plug access hole had not been installed correctly. Don’t you just love those skilled BMW technicians !!. Maybe worth checking that area.
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

O ring on the oil filler plug ok?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Thanks for responding boys! Will try the powder plan this weekend. Simbo, I checked, everything is snug and proper.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Haven't looked for one but is there a breather pipe and is it that side of the engine?
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

Our Gee wrote: This does remind me of very similar occasion when I returned home after a Dealer service. My right boot had a thin film of oil on it. Investigation by me showed that the rubber seal which fits around the spark plug access hole had not been installed correctly. Don’t you just love those skilled BMW technicians !!. Maybe worth checking that area.
Same happened to me...the valve cover has to be removed to see this. On mine the rubber gasket around the plug hole was upside down.

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
garr2

Post by garr2 »

Our Gee wrote: This does remind me of very similar occasion when I returned home after a Dealer service. My right boot had a thin film of oil on it. Investigation by me showed that the rubber seal which fits around the spark plug access hole had not been installed correctly. Don’t you just love those skilled BMW technicians !!. Maybe worth checking that area.

Me  too ..... or is that 3!