Does this cylinder head cover installs on a 2018 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: Does this cylinder head cover installs on a 2018 RT?

Post by simbo »

heli_madken wrote: I think the fact that the heads are water cooled would negate the issue of airflow a great deal, in addition the fact that they are OEM would suggest BMW did a lot of research into the effect of cooling on the heads and found no issues otherwise they would be setting themselves up for a lot of trouble

+1 Agreed
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Not sure if this adds to the discussion on the LC, it may go some way toanswering the question on engineering and heat dissipation. Mine is a twin cam with the BMW head covers on it. The cooling I found was to say the least remarkable even with the covers. I was doing a first gear filtering for about 3 miles up the mountain to the Mont Blanc Tunnel in 38Deg C, a lot of stop start. It was the first time I had seen the temperature guage hit the 3rd bar when I stopped at the top, was a distinct smell of warm oil but once in the tunnel at 34deg C and moving it dropped back. I can only say not being a scientific test, it seems the engineering does work.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

wethead wrote: The reason why I selected the cylinder head cover on the OP webpage was because it does have a lot of venting space for air to go through.

No matter how you look at it, if you cover a cylinder head with material you are blocking air flow.

But it isn't the cylinder head, it is merely a cam cover
wethead wrote:[/size]
I know some are gonna jump up and say: "it aint so". But will you have empirical data to show that the cover does not cause the fan to trigger sooner on a given hot day, or at a light?

I haven't, BUT BMW do. They make them, they test them, they are prepared to warranty the bike with them for EVERY country the bike is sold to (hot or cold countries).
It REALLY isn't an issue.
wethead wrote:[/size]
I am currently driving a friend's RT with a BMW cover. Its been rather cool around here, and I noticed the fans kick in at a light when it 'appears' to me they should not. I could be wrong about this.

I think you are. The thermal management on these bikes are designed to heat up REALLY quickly and the thermal management is aided at low speed, by the fan. It doesn't mean there is a problem, it means the bike is at the correct cooking temperature for optimal use.
wethead wrote:[/size] I am getting to be an old fart.

Well, that's a bit mean. But I do think you are looking for a problem where there ISN'T one.
If you fit a guard then you may as well make it one that works the best it can for a given design. And the BMW one does just that.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i very much doubt BMW would sell a cylinder heard guard that impairs cooling of the engine
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Ooh this one's simmering well. be

My input:  Been using the BMW head protectors since the bike was new and never had an overheating issue.  If anything, I reckon these act as extra finning and draw heat away rather than keep it in.  As bandytales says above, it is only fitted over the cam cover......
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i'd go for genuine bmw ones

those Wunderlich ones are expensive
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

ds99 wrote: i'd go for genuine bmw ones

It seems a no brainer to me. So, +1