Ztechnik-V-Stream-R1200RT-LC-2013-on-touring-screen Z

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
aphill24

Ztechnik-V-Stream-R1200RT-LC-2013-on-touring-screen Z

Post by aphill24 »

Anyone else have one of these? if so how do you rate it? I have just bought one for £50 as fed up of the standard screen directing the air straight at my head in the lowest setting.
I did price the werks quiet ride but it was £200 so giving this a go for now
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Ztechnik-V-Stream-R1200RT-LC-2013-on-touring-screen Z

Post by Our Gee »

I have the ZTechnik V Stream on our Twincam RT and find it’s great. I had the same screen on our previous Hexhead RT and swopped it over when we changed bikes. When we originally bought the screen there where two versions available and we opted for the larger one. It might not look as neat and tidy as the factory screen but it is a case of
“Function over Form” with Function winning. Being a rather large chap and wth a neck problem I found the original factory screen to be next to useless for my requirements. I can regularly ride over 500 mile days without any problem. It’s the best “addition” you can make to an RT (IMHO)

aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Thanks Our Gee, a positive response is what I was looking for, even if I don't get on with it I havn.t broken the bank I suppose.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

aphill24 wrote: Thanks Our Gee, a positive response is what I was looking for, even if I don't get on with it I havn.t broken the bank I suppose.

Just read your original post again and I note that you had what sounds like a “head buffeting” problem with the original screen in the lowest position. One must ask why don’t you raise the screen to a position where that problem is alleviated or does your physical shape rule that out. My own problem was that at 6’-2” and quite broad shoulders the original screen was just too small overall. I normally run with the Z Technik raised about 2 inches from the lowest setting and at that position I can just see over the top. That is with the seat in the highest position to give me maximum leg room.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Our Gee wrote: Just read your original post again and I note that you had what sounds like a “head buffeting” problem with the original screen in the lowest position. One must ask why don’t you raise the screen to a position where that problem is alleviated
Oh yes, I have just read that too!
So i'm interested to know the answer. Because for sure the V stream makes for a pretty ugly screen if the solution is just to raise the OEM one.

Also aphill24, you say 2013 onward. Do you mean 2014 onward (ie, a Wethead)?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i had the Vstream one on my 2007 RT and it was good, but i switched to a Cee Baileys one. it's not that much different in reality. Both were better than the standard screen. They are both easily tall enough as I do not like to look "through" the screen.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

bandytales wrote: Oh yes, I have just read that too!
So i'm interested to know the answer. Because for sure the V stream makes for a pretty ugly screen if the solution is just to raise the OEM one.

Also aphill24, you say 2013 onward. Do you mean 2014 onward (ie, a Wethead)?

It’s not just a case of wanting to “raise” the OEM screen. The Z Technik screen is also wider which in my case greatly improves turbulance and buffeting around the shoulders over the standard screen. I agree that the OEM screen is “prettier” but at what cost. The strong market in “after market” screens from a number of different manufacturers shows that there is demand for “effective” if ugly screens.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Our Gee wrote:
It’s not just a case of wanting to “raise” the OEM screen. The Z Technik screen is also wider which in my case greatly improves turbulance and buffeting around the shoulders over the standard screen. I agree that the OEM screen is “prettier” but at what cost. The strong market in “after market” screens from a number of different manufacturers shows that there is demand for “effective” if ugly screens.

Hi Our Gee. Let me clarify a few things.
1/. The OP seems to infer he hasn't raised his screen. So I wanted to clarify that.
2/. I would argue that a lot of the taller aftermarket screens are LESS ugly (prettier) than the OEM screen with that strange cut out and profile.
3/. The strong market for 'after market' screens is because the OEM Wethead screen is rubbish.
4/. Most after market screens offer superior protection for head shoulder of both the rider and pillion.
5/. It's a personal opinion, but I think the Vstream is one of the ugliest screens (size for size) of any of the aftermarket screens.

Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Fully appreciate your points Bandytales. Seems like we both would like to hear why aphill24 hasn’t commented on his screen in a higher position.
I’m not at all familiar with the wet head screen so I can’t comment on it’s effective or appearance, however, as you quite rightly point out appearance is indeed a personal thing so that’s probably why I think that the W.C. RT is the least pretty (ugliest) of them all.
Thank you for your clarification.

aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Hi Guys, sorry for the slow response I have been so busy. It is a wethead 2015 model year. I don't like raising the screen to high as I am 5;9 inches and it means the top of the screen is in my eyeline where i find it uncomfortable looking through the screen, just not what I am used to over the years. This is my first touring bike where I am sitting more upright. If I can get away with raising the v stream just a little and it stops the buffeting i will be happier as I need to raise the oem screen quite a bit to get no buffeting. I don't want to sound like I want a peaceful quiet ride it's just that because of my height it is hitting me right where I don't want it and that is my head. I have never had this problem before as always had a sports bike apart from a vfr800 for a short time.
Hope this clears up some queries and I am due for delivery of the screen tomorrow where I will post an update,

Thanks all,

Tony
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Well FOR SURE you will find the screen better than stock because it is pants. I hope you get on with it.
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Hi All, fitted the new screen today and had a short 15 minute ride to work, well all I can say is it is a huge improvement on the OEM screen in that it directs the air flow over my head in the lowest setting. I had reservations in that it is slightly larger but it looks okay to me. The profile of the top 100mm is more upright than the original screen and it's this that sends the air high up over my head. Looking forward to a day out to really see what it's like on all roads but I am glad I bought it, :)
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

I've had one of the Ztechnik screens on my RT for about 2 years now after the original screen was damaged, and I would definitely recommend them. The profile of the screen angles the airflow so that its ducted away from the rider's head. This makes the screen noticeably quieter when riding.
Cheers
David
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Glad you like it aphill24. Any impressions of it being “overly large” will soon disappear as will any perceived “ugliness” !! And at the price you paid you are on a winner.
Duty First

Post by Duty First »

I received, fitted and tested my V-Stream yesterday ... much better than stock.
As far as looks go ... I couldn't give a rats, I got for it's functionality and it ticks all of the box's for me.