Week 1 on my new R1200RT

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
Murgie

Week 1 on my new R1200RT

Post by Murgie »

Well, I picked up my new 2018 Red RT last weekend.  Spent all day yesterday adding much needed accessories such as a GoPro, heated gear port, etc.  Here is a clip from my shake down ride in Ohio, USA.

https://youtu.be/TPprDsP1G8Y
stayingupright

Re: Week 1 on my new R1200RT

Post by stayingupright »

I'm sorry ... I gave up watching after a couple of minutes.

It looked as though you were glued to the middle of the road. In my eyes it looked quite dangerous.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

stayingupright wrote: I'm sorry ... I gave up watching after a couple of minutes.
It looked as though you were glued to the middle of the road. In my eyes it looked quite dangerous.
Well, maybe he wasn't sure where he was: USA or UK! so he played it safe!! :pee:
Videos are usually cool for the ones that take it. And the time of the year, who wants
a reminder of this time? A month or so later, may be a different story! A few pictures am
sure would have been more appreciated! Anyhow, enjoy your new scoot! :clap:
Murgie

Post by Murgie »

Unfortunately, riding in or near the middle of the road is a requirement for me.  You see, I have been in 3 deer collisions with the third collision putting me down.  So, I tend to stay near the center line as much as I can to give me the most chance of seeing (and hopefully missing) deer.  Also, the camera is on the left side of the bike making it appear that I am closer to the line.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Agree with you! I do the same, with or without traffic! If there is car in front, by being directly behind
his mirror increases the chances that the driver is noticing me. By riding behind a car in the center of
you lane decreases the chances for the oncoming traffic to notice you, and if they intend to make a left
turn, there is a good chance to cut you off. And after all, there was hardly any traffic, in your video,
anyways. And I also have the camera on left side of the bike, making the video slightly more dramatic
then it actually is.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Looks nice! enjoy your new bike  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

I like to make sure I ride as IAM would suggest and indeed I ride like everyone on the road is trying to wipe me out but, living in Norfolk, we have an abundance of suicidal munkjaks and pheasants so, I too tend to take the middle line!
I also ride many thousands of miles in Europe and being honest, with my precious wife on the back, adopt a similar approach.

Think perhaps, we should just look at a guy really enjoying his new bike
By the way, what gopro hero are you using because the footage is pretty good?
Murgie

Post by Murgie »

Thanks.  Yea, been in Norfolk traffic, so know what you are referring too.  Footage is from the Hero 6.  1080p 60fps.  Really gorgeous on a desk PC display.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Murgie wrote: Unfortunately, riding in or near the middle of the road is a requirement for me.  You see, I have been in 3 deer collisions with the third collision putting me down.  So, I tend to stay near the center line as much as I can to give me the most chance of seeing (and hopefully missing) deer.  Also, the camera is on the left side of the bike making it appear that I am closer to the line.
Know what you mean on both counts. I ride in northern Michigan and deer are all over the place. I also had the same experience with the camera angle where it looks like you're in the middle of the road. Pretty sure I've been on OH676 last year. Nice area.
Steve
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it.
Good to see that Scotland is not the only country where farmers leave great trails of mud on the road !  😊
I presume you are still at the running-in stage and I wonder what your philosophy is on that ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Murgie

Post by Murgie »

gogs01 wrote: ...
I presume you are still at the running-in stage and I wonder what your philosophy is on that ?

Not sure I understand your question.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Murgie wrote: Not sure I understand your question.
I assume he is asking how are you breaking in the new engine! :kacsint2:
Murgie

Post by Murgie »

I see, I was thinking in that line but guess I am not fast enough.  :)

Well, I am not redlining it or doing full throttle starts but enough to bring a smile to me.  But, is sure fun to ride.  Been riding a Wing for the last 20 years, so riding a bike that is almost 400 lbs lighter is something new for me and it feels like I need to learn how to ride again.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Looks like you've mounted the camera on the left handlebar. I like the angle. Can you share a picture of the mounting? Also I noticed very little wind noise. Were you able to filter it out or did you use an external microphone?
Steve
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Just as a suggestion, here are a few pics how I mounted the camera on the bar. It is on the left
side, yet just the same can be done right side. The ram ball is on permanently, doesn't interfere
with handling the bike. Also, here is a sample of a video I took with that mounting riding thru
Zion National Park, Utah, USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWHgaGE1D_Y&t=38s
Attachments
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG