Help with grips

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
ptong971

Help with grips

Post by ptong971 »

I just bought a 2016 R1200RT from a friend.  I am traditionally a Goldwing driver.  I use Kuryakyn Isogrips because I have hands the size of oven mits.  These dinky little grips on the R1200RT are causing me issues.

Please provide me with directions to aftermarket products that I can install to drastically increase the radius/diameter/circumference of the stock grips on the R1200RT.  And STOP now if you are going to suggest grip puppies.  I had them on my Wing and they are don't do shite.

I also need suggestions on products for lowering footpegs and for good highway pegs.  Otherwise I'm all set.

If you want, e-mail me at [email protected].  I appreciate your help.  These dinky little grips are killing my hands and carpal tunnel issues.

-Paul
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Help with grips

Post by temesvar »

I would suggest tennis racquet over grips. They offer good grip, and you can roll them as thick as you wish.
Also, there are the fishing rod tapes. Some riders like them, I never tried . Just a suggestion. And yes, I don't
like them grip puppies or buddies either, but many here swear by them. Is just a matter of taste.
Lowering pegs, Wunderlich has some, as well as Knight Design
http://www.knightdesignllc.com/
None is cheap! Good luck finding what you are looking for.
ca1ic0cat

Post by ca1ic0cat »

OURY "road" grips work pretty well but you'll have to cut the end.  Suburban Machinery makes a good foot peg lowering kit.  I've got both.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Excel Cycle Werks makes a O-ring kit to enlarge grip diameter
Jim
ptong971

Post by ptong971 »

temesvar wrote: I would suggest tennis racquet over grips. They offer good grip, and you can roll them as thick as you wish.
Also, there are the fishing rod tapes. Some riders like them, I never tried . Just a suggestion. And yes, I don't
like them grip puppies or buddies either, but many here swear by them. Is just a matter of taste.
Lowering pegs, Wunderlich has some, as well as Knight Design
http://www.knightdesignllc.com/
None is cheap! Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Thank you, very helpful.
ptong971

Post by ptong971 »

T6pilot wrote: Excel Cycle Werks makes a O-ring kit to enlarge grip diameter

Thanks, I might check them out.
ptong971

Post by ptong971 »

ca1ic0cat wrote: OURY "road" grips work pretty well but you'll have to cut the end.  Suburban Machinery makes a good foot peg lowering kit.  I've got both.

I'll check out that Suburban Machinery.  Thanks.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

I have big hands too, and I found the grips on my 2014 LC uncomfortable. The diameter is too small.
I fitted Grip Puppies and that solved my problem with discomfort.
I find that I drag footpegs too often with the standard setup, I can't see how the bike would be very ridable or enjoyable with lowered footpegs.
I'd be looking for a higher seat option before I'd think about lowering the footpegs. I have my seat on the high position and can easily do long days of 700 km or more and all day on the bike with only fuel and brief lunch stops.
Peter
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

Mine had those grip puppies as y’all call them still to small. So I found foam grips 1”” from parts unlimited took them apart took the foam off the grips. Then removed the grip puppies :) folded them in half shoved them inside the other ones. Even out the ends. A little soapy water and  grips that fit my hands.
Attachments
BC0931E4-7554-487A-82EB-AA45B18806AA.jpeg
joeducati
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT
Has liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by joeducati »

[/quote]
grip puppies is what I always install for my YUUUUGE hands