Cheap audio?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Cheap audio?

Post by jackronner »

Have never owned a cell phone (mobile) nor any digital music devices, but am willing to buy an I pod or its ilk.  But is there any way, short of helmet-integrated earphones, etc. that I'll get enough volume at 80 mph on the interstate as I cross the U.S. this summer?  Don't want to go the Harley-style speaker route, and have never had any success with conventional ear buds - too much wind/road noise. Would dearly love to have some tunes on those 600 mile days in the Great Plains. Any thoughts?
Millman

Re: Cheap audio?

Post by Millman »

jackronner wrote: Have never owned a cell phone (mobile) nor any digital music devices, but am willing to buy an I pod or its ilk.  But is there any way, short of helmet-integrated earphones, etc. that I'll get enough volume at 80 mph on the interstate as I cross the U.S. this summer?  Don't want to go the Harley-style speaker route, and have never had any success with conventional ear buds - too much wind/road noise. Would dearly love to have some tunes on those 600 mile days in the Great Plains. Any thoughts?
Get the Sena SMH5. 96$ from revzilla.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

jackronner wrote: Have never owned a cell phone (mobile) nor any digital music devices, but am willing to buy an I pod or its ilk.  But is there any way, short of helmet-integrated earphones, etc. that I'll get enough volume at 80 mph on the interstate as I cross the U.S. this summer?  Don't want to go the Harley-style speaker route, and have never had any success with conventional ear buds - too much wind/road noise. Would dearly love to have some tunes on those 600 mile days in the Great Plains. Any thoughts?
These would plug into the headphone socket of an iPod etc and give you music. Is that what you were thinking?
John Bentall
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

I use a device from Interphone, blue toothed from my phone.
Works well for me.
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
panaray

Post by panaray »

Please allow me to offer a biased opinion. Why biased? because my engineering degree is in acoustics and I work for an audio company

Expensive (the best) route: Bose QuietControl 20. Connected to your smart device via Bluetooth. Active Noise Cancellation is excellent for touring bikes* It's the quietest way to ride bikes. If you wear a snug-fitting full face helmet, taking it on/off with the ear pieces in is a bit difficult. For 3/4 helmets no problem. This is the current my go-to set up. It helps you hear around you better, too,  vs no hearing protection (or ear plugs) because of psychoacoustics phenomena called "masking." (or reduction thereof) The only downside is that it won't work with BT communicator systems. You can hear voice/music, but QC's mics are useless in high noise/wind environment.

Another expensive route: Etymotic ER-6** ear speakers with foam tips (or custom molded ear piece). Etys are designed primarily for audiophiles, thus the sound quality (and efficiency) is excellent. If you don't have problems sticking foam plugs into your ear canals, this should be fine. If you don't, then consider getting it with custom molded ear pieces (more $$). This is not active noise cancellation. It's passive attenuation just like ear plugs, except the added mass of the ear speakers offer a bit more low-frequency attenuation. I used this set up for ~15 years until I got my QC20's last year. Another benefit is that you can connect BT communicators with stereo plug (for helmet speakers).

Both options can costs you ~US$300. Is that cheap? It all depends on how your value your safety (to hear around you) and retarding the rate of your hearing loss (riding bikes inherently accelerates your hearing loss)

Cheap route: other in-ear buds with foam tip. I haven't tried many of them, but Koss (the model number escapes me) worked reasonably well for noise attenuation, but audio quality was not so good. I think you can go as low as $30.

Note:
*QC20's work well while on the RT but not so with my sport bikes. Wind buffeting under the helmet may be causing the noise-cancelling mics to overload. For RT's this doesn't occur for me because of the windshield, even at the lowest setting. Your results may vary based on your helmet fit and height, which affect the wind flow under your helmet. (e.g. taller riders may experience the overload conditions at lower windshield settings)

**it should be noted that ER-6 (and 6i) has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I would not recommend the current products because of their shape. Unlike ER-6's, with short and stubby profile, their current models are thinner and longer. The added length causes the ear speakers to touch the helmet padding, which causes the outer end to press against the pinnae making them uncomfortable. If you wear 1/2 helmets, it should not be a problem. I think I have this problem because I have a custom-fitted Arai full face which hugs my whole head.
Last edited by panaray on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks to all for the responses.  Beemerboy9:  like the price, but I assume the  phones are permanently affixed, as are the wires.  They just hang down when the helmet is off, right?