New to the RT: tips?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rens

New to the RT: tips?

Post by rens »

Hi all-

I’ve just traded my 98 1100GS for a 2017 RT, hence signing up here. I’ve been riding bikes for 30+ years and beemers for the last 10 but aside from a few rental experiences (which sold me) this is my first RT. I’ve read a bunch of the posts here and have been on advrider for a long time but since this is my first RT and first high tech bike (I’ve always ridden airheads and oilheads except for a brief F650GS but BMW today is a totally different beast to BMW of the past) I thought I’d ask for pointers from you experts...particularly as I understand this bike isnt very DIY friendly compared to what I am used to.

My riding is daily in-town (London) weekly countryside and a couple of times a year longer trips and abroad; I dont currently own anything with more than 2 wheels.

Thank for any and all responses!

Rens

ds99

Re: New to the RT: tips?

Post by ds99 »

I own a 2007 RT and also live in London, but the bike is too big for London's roads so I use a smaller bike day-to-day.

The RT is a great bike and the only things I have done are:

- bar risers which move the bars upwards and rearwards a little
- a bigger screen
- heavier bar end weights to cure the tingling/numbness in the hands
- Garmin satnav added above the console
- extra mirrors as I find the standard mirrors are crap

I guess cylinder plastic head guards are a good idea too? And maybe crash bars?

This place is a good for BMW servicing, near Luton. Much cheaper then BMW dealers.

[size=2px]https://www.motoscot.co.uk[/size]
rens

Post by rens »

Thanks for that.  Any advice on rt crash bars here in the uk? Ive used wunderlich before which are just ok, and touratech which were ££ but those were both on gs machines.  Im not sure the plastic caps are worth much. 

I hate garmin.  What are rt people doing to mount iphones? On my other bikes ive used quadlock standoffs which are pretty nice.

Will check out motoscot...thanks. Im north so a quick blast up the a1m
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your bike is like new, so there is not much I can suggest,
since I have a 2008. For engine guards, I have a set made by Heed. Is a company in
Poland, well made, good quality product for a fraction of the others. I am happy with
them. http://www.heed.com.pl/index.php/en/ I don't know if they make your year/model.
If it was my bike, would add mirrors,(can't stand the ones that the rt's come with for the
last 13 years!) change the headlight bulbs with HID, all other bulbs with LED's, ceramic
coat the headers that sooner or later turn into crapy blue/grey/red. May want to add some
protective film on the painted panniers, Over the time you ride it, you will figure out what
you like or would like to improve or change! Good lock with your new scoot!
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Actually, I love the Garmin GPS; extremely easy to use, and very reliable.  I would suggest heavier bar-end weights to reduce the classic freeway "buzz" of the RT's vibration, and maybe crash bars front and rear to protect that very expensive body work.  Other than that: HAVE FUN riding !
Gary here in Ohio, USA
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

rens wrote: I thought I’d ask for pointers from you experts...particularly as I understand this bike isnt very DIY friendly compared to what I am used to.

My riding is daily in-town (London) weekly countryside and a couple of times a year longer trips and abroad; I dont currently own anything with more than 2 wheels.

Well, First thing would be the screen. I hate the standard screen. It just doesn't work well. I have changed mine for a Werks Quiet Ride and it REALLY does work. The screen can be pretty much down and the noise and buffeting all but disappear.

Second thing is to replace the pannier lids for the slim line ones form Hornig. Very expensive, but has made city riding SO MUCH better.

Third, for me the grips are too narrow diameter. I tried grip puppies with no success - they became too fat. I have now fitted renthal grips over the top of the stock grips and they are brilliant (you need 2 sets though, because you need to fit the Renthal throttle grip to both sides.

Seat comfort is a misnomer. The stock seat (although I still have it) is NOT comfortable.

Forth, I have fitted weather protection kit around the footrests and it keeps your feet warmer and drier and cleaner (also true for pillion feet).

Fifth, headlight bulbs removed and replaced with LED bulbs. Very nice.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Well, First thing would be the screen. I hate the standard screen. It just doesn't work well. I have changed mine for a Werks Quiet Ride and it REALLY does work. The screen can be pretty much down and the noise and buffeting all but disappear.

Second thing is to replace the pannier lids for the slim line ones form Hornig. Very expensive, but has made city riding SO MUCH better.

Third, for me the grips are too narrow diameter. I tried grip puppies with no success - they became too fat. I have now fitted renthal grips over the top of the stock grips and they are brilliant (you need 2 sets though, because you need to fit the Renthal throttle grip to both sides.

Seat comfort is a misnomer. The stock seat (although I still have it) is NOT comfortable.

Forth, I have fitted weather protection kit around the footrests and it keeps your feet warmer and drier and cleaner (also true for pillion feet).

Fifth, headlight bulbs removed and replaced with LED bulbs. Very nice.

Interesting views, but I don't think everyone would agree with the above. From my perspective and I have covered 10k on my bike in under 2 years:

Screen - I also have a Werks, really good improvement.

Pannier lids - no issues with the standard ones - just learn the width of the bike and don't try and filter through gaps that are too small

Seat - I have no issues with the stock seat, can do 8 hour days, just have a break every couple of hours - guess this depends on your build and weight

Infill weather panels - No issues whatsoever with muck on my boots, I ride all year around, possibly smaller pannier lids will not help, but who knows :)

Headlight - works ok for me, I also have aux lights fitted.

Grips again, put grip puppies on and they are fine, guess it depends if you have hands like shovels :)

I did experience numbness in my right hand from vibration, but that disappeared as soon as the bike had done some mileage. Enjoy

You can spend £££, but if I was you, ride the bike first and see what doesn't work for you.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

rens wrote: .particularly as I understand this bike isnt very DIY friendly compared to what I am used to.

If you're used to/enjoy working on your bikes? Which I guess you are from having had a few of the older BM's, Buy a GS-911 and do your own servicing, It'll soon pay for itself. Only when it's out of warranty of course!.. Oh, And don't ask too many difficult questions on here, You'll only get directions to your nearest authorised dealer  ;)

Oh, As others have said, Ride it for 6/12 Months or so and see what you don't really like about the bike? There's shit loads of stuff in the After market department that might? Might not? make a difference to you the person 'you' are.

That should put me back in the 'Naughty corner' for a while  :D
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Si_Burnout
Belgium

Post by Si_Burnout »

I have my bike for a little more than a year now and I've done over 16K kilometers on it. The best accessory I bought is a sidestand enlarger. By far the most usefull thing ever. For the rest just enjoy the ride as much as you can.
Live to ride and ride to live.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and the only things I've added are:
Sidestand enlarger (Wunderlich)
BMW cylinder head protectors
Nippy Normans paint protectors on the tank and panniers
Cockpit bag (Wunderlich). Expensive for what it is, but soooo useful.

Considering:
Better screen
Aux lights
Louder horn

That's about it really.  A lock for the GPS would be nice but not seen anything that has tempted me yet.

Just enjoy the bike and make your own decisions, we're all different which is why bikes get showered with your own mix of bits and pieces.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I also added a better horn as the BMW one is puny.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I added a BMW car 5 series, low tone horn, straight swap, plugs straight in, and is louder.
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

My list of after market add–ons includes
  • Bar risers
  • Grip Buddies
  • Wunderlich front and rear protection bars
  • Wunderlich mirrors mounted on the lever bases
  • Hondo "Perfect Squeeze" phone mount on a Ram arm.
  • Wunderlich side stand base enlarger
  • Ilium highway pegs
  • Hard mount for Garmin Nav IV GPS
  • Glare Stomper for GPS
  • Motoreflective decals for bags
  • Vololight license plate surround
  • Kathy's saddle bag liners
  • 49 L top box

Probably next on the list is some aftermarket lights from Clearwater. 
carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

I have a 2016 so there may be some variation, but IMO the factory wind screen is pretty weak.  It shouldn't just sit there vibrating, at 75mph, should it?  I've tried three replacement brands, and really wish Cee Baileys were still in the market (if you read this I love you people and wish you'd jump back into motorcycles).  The Werks is a big upgrade over stock.  Recommended.

The high performance shifter was a lot more fun when I realized it could manage a 1->2 shift if pressed.  Now I recommend adding it if it didn't come with your bike.  I enjoy Pirelli Angel A-spec tires a bunch over the factory-supplied Michelins. 

Clearwater has probably helped me a lot more than I'd care to think.  They're so expensive - but I've put their lights on two beemers back to back and would do it again in a heartbeat.  If you're splitting lanes in west-bound traffic in the morning, it helps if your bike can be momentarily brighter than the Sun.  I know that was not the intent but thank you, Clearwater, for what seems to the effective equivalent. 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

carpedatum wrote: Clearwater has probably helped me a lot more than I'd care to think.[size=2px]
[/size]
Agreeed, very nice lights.
[size=2px]
carpedatum wrote:
[/size]  If you're splitting lanes in west-bound traffic in the morning, it helps if your bike can be momentarily brighter than the Sun.  I know that was not the intent but thank you, Clearwater, for what seems to the effective equivalent.
[/quote]

Well I've agered with most of your comments, but this is where I a totally at odds with you. I curse you bright light users. You blind me and give me no visual field of reference (so I don't know how far away you are and can't calculate your closing speed, and also I can't see anything around you either). You hit the nail on the head when you said 'brighter than the sun'. That is the problem. When you look into the sun, your eyes are screwed fo some time afterwards, and that is what happens when folk ride with their 'brights' on. PLEASE stop doing this.