Slim panniers , do they exist ?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Dave990

Post by Dave990 »

I was wondering if anyone makes or modifies standard panniers to make a slimmer version?

I often filter, and fit my bike between bollards outside a few shops I use... but the standard panniers do make my ar5e look big.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Slim panniers , do they exist ?

Post by Casbar »

You can buy city lids, which replace your existing lids. But they are not painted, you need to do a bit of diy to get them to fit and they are not cheap. Do a search on here, some have fitted them
Dave990

Post by Dave990 »

Casbar wrote: You can buy city lids, which replace your existing lids. But they are not painted, you need to do a bit of diy to get them to fit and they are not cheap. Do a search on here, some have fitted them
cheers

I will have a look.

city lids...what an obvious name, yet not one I used in so many other searched I have done !
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

heli_madken

Post by heli_madken »

I was going to ask which RT then saw your other post, beautiful setting and easily the best colour for your bike  :)

You can get Hornig city lids here - https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... -Lids.html

Their is a general thread on the topic here -  https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

On the last page you can see that I have them on my RT same colour as yours, it didnt take too much work to paint them and up to now I am very pleased. they dont leak and have certainly put my mind at rest when filtering.

Hope this helps

Ken
Dave990

Post by Dave990 »

Thanks you all for the comments , guidance and direction.

Luggage and leaks...when traveling I use dry bags, and compression bags for the well use clothing or stuff than does not mind that extra level of protection.

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

I have the Hornig ones on My Wethead. I love them. However. They are not watertight. There is no positive seal at the bottom.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I do a fair bit of filtering in this country and abroad and the panniers aren't an issue for me.

My panniers are on the bike unless it's going into the dealer for service.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

gogs01 wrote: I do a fair bit of filtering in this country and abroad and the panniers aren't an issue for me.

Same here, never had the need to take them off!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
heli_madken

Post by heli_madken »

bandytales wrote: I have the Hornig ones on My Wethead. I love them. However. They are not watertight. There is no positive seal at the bottom.

Strange I have ridden in some torrential stuff over the past tow months and never had a leak, the seal on mine goes right the way around the perimeter of the lid, it takes a fair amount of force to close them
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

gogs01 wrote: I do a fair bit of filtering in this country and abroad and the panniers aren't an issue for me.

Big thumbs up for Hornig city lids for filtering!!

There is no way I could filter with standard lids on the panniers, how do I know? Because when padding between cars the gap on each side of the city lids is less than 5mm each side!!

My Hornigs are waterproof, can not comment on other sets.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.