Helite Airbag Safety Vest

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Frank123

Helite Airbag Safety Vest

Post by Frank123 »

Hi, I'm about to pay out approx €600 on a Helite airbag safety vest (turtle model) see photo attached. I have seen the videos, read up on the blurb so I am aware of all the good points. My question is what are the bad points, if any?

Attachments
IMG_20170602_120755.jpg
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Helite Airbag Safety Vest

Post by B787MECH »

What's the life of the inflation bottle, and does the vest need servicing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I belong to a blood bike group, we had a demo from Helite, quite a few of us now wear them and all our bikes have the tethers fitted. I have worn one now for about a year and a half. Bad points - in the summer its an extra layer, so if you have an airflow jacket, it restricts the flow - not an issue in my mind :) Other point is you have to remember to clip on and off each time, not a problem, it becomes second nature. It takes over 40kg of pull to set it off, so if you step off the bike and forget, it will pull and stop you, before you manage to set it off - I know :)

Servicing is every 4 years (as far as I remember), just send it back to Helite. Bottle lasts at least that long, think a spare bottle is around £18 if you need one. Both myself and my good lady have them, my wife has a Hi Vis one, mine is black as I nearly always wear a hi vis vest over it. I wouldn't ride without it now :)

gazcoo

Post by gazcoo »

I've had one of these for 4 years  from Point Two.  Similar spec as Helite, slightly cheaper.

https://uk.pointtwoairvests.com/products/proair-mc

As above using becomes second nature.  Personaly I would not ride without it.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Many thanks guys, I'm convinced.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

And, presumably, if enough people buy them they'll become compulsory for everyone !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: And, presumably, if enough people buy them they'll become compulsory for everyone !

Personal choice, its your body, your risk. I ride all year around in all weathers, a vest that might help and protect all my vital organs is an insurance policy. But hey, real men probably don't wear air vests, but I'll just have to live with that!
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote:
Personal choice, its your body, your risk. I ride all year around in all weathers, a vest that might help and protect all my vital organs is an insurance policy. But hey, real men probably don't wear air vests, but I'll just have to live with that!

If they do become compulsory? I hope they make them more colour coordinated, That High Viz Yellow will so clash with my Shorts, Trainers & Tee shirt!  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
If they do become compulsory? I hope they make them more colour coordinated, That High Viz Yellow will so clash with my Shorts, Trainers & Tee shirt!  :)

And your old bike probably doesn't go fast enough to cause any issues if you fall off anyway - :) Not like my massively quick Quartz Blue LC
Millman

Post by Millman »

Frank123 wrote: Hi, I'm about to pay out approx €600 on a Helite airbag safety vest (turtle model) see photo attached. I have seen the videos, read up on the blurb so I am aware of all the good points. My question is what are the bad points, if any?
I’m about to do the same thing here in the states. The negative thing I hear is it can be hot in the summer and the expense, but $600 is 6 times less than my insurance deductible and 1/3 the cost of a trip to the emergency room.  Good luck and I’ll show you mine if you shoe me yours[emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
garr2

Post by garr2 »

I have two Helite hi-viz turtle vests - one for me and one for my wife.
The vest goes on over your riding jacket so yes another layer to put on and store when at home or off the bike when out and about. It does restrict the air flow when worn over a mesh jacket, but when worn over my touring jacket which has huge zippers in front of and behind the armpits this is not a problem - the cut of the vest doesn't seem to impinge on the zipper opening. Connecting/disconnecting becomes second nature - bit like a car seat belt. If you do forget to disconnect it before you attempt to dismount the tension on the tether reminds you that something isn't right. When I have been following some distance behind a friend also wearing a hi-viz vest they are much more noticeable than when riding behind someone wearing an ordinary jacket. So I guess other road users notice as well.
Having ridden with the vest for a couple of years now, I won't ride without it - even up to the local petrol station! When it came time to replace my mesh jacket I went for the Helite mesh jacket which had the airbag integrated into the jacket itself. So in warmer weather I only have one garment to put on/take off & store. Further down the track when my touring jacket needs replacing I'll go with the Helite equivalent - with the airbag built in.
Fortunately I haven't tested the jackets protective qualities yet, but anything that moves the odds in my favour is worth having.

Ian

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Got knocked off today, low speed, not damage to me at all, vest worked a treat. Just need a new bottle now - lol
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: Got knocked off today, low speed, not damage to me at all, vest worked a treat. Just need a new bottle now - lol

Glad you're ok.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
Glad you're ok.

Thanks, sh1t happens - lol
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Hey Casbar glad to hear you are OK. What model of air vest do you have? the TT (turtle) version or the Standard version. There is €100 difference between both.