Removing fairing/dash

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Removing fairing/dash

Post by blastfurnace »

I'm looking for info/resources on how to remove the fairing and dash for a 2013 R1200rt so I can install HID light in the comfort of my home instead of breaking my fingers off.  I have looked for tutorials and videos, but they typically only show taking off the plastics.  Is this difficult to do?
Thanks!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Removing fairing/dash

Post by David. »

The Haynes manual describes how to remove the fairing panels & instrument cluster (dash).
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

I can't say about your 2013, most likely is not much different. On my 2008 in about 30 min. the
headlight assembly was in my living room. Had to remove only the dash cover, unplug one master
plug that connects all the lights to the bike, and 4 larger screws that were holding the headlight.
To make it easier, i removed the windshield as well. You will need a 1" hole saw to drill the bulb
covers. I replaced only the LO with HID. It takes time for the bulb to warm up, so will not be able
use the flasher, in case you have to. I used a LED for Hi.But with the two Hid's, the Hi is hardly
noticeable as far as rider's night time vision.  :eggs:
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

Installed the HID light kit today.  Couldn't figure out how to remove the fairing (I removed every single screw I could fine, but it wouldn't budge), but the HID install was a breeze.  Didn't have any of the headlight troubles I was expecting after reading about how difficult it is to get the bulbs in and out.  I guess some of these folks never had to change an ignition bezel in a 1966 Mustang!  Anyway, the hardest part was figuring out where to stash the ballasts.  All in all took about 4 hours.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

What size bulbs did you use and how do you like them?
Did you change the HI as well?
Always a good feeling after a successful job! :kacsint2: [size=78%] [/size]
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

temesvar wrote: What size bulbs did you use and how do you like them?
Did you change the HI as well?
Always a good feeling after a successful job! :kacsint2: [size=78%] [/size]

I used the DDM Plus Canbus ballast kit that used 35w 4500k H7s.  It was a little more expensive and the ballast are larger, but I wasn't sure if the standard kit would throw up Canbus errors.
I like the lights, although I have not ridden them at night.  They are much brighter and I like the additional visibility.
I didn't change the Hibeam.  These take a few seconds to warm up, so they aren't great for the high.  I might put an LED in there at some point.

temesvar

Post by temesvar »

blastfurnace wrote:
I used the DDM Plus Canbus ballast kit that used 35w 4500k H7s.  It was a little more expensive and the ballast are larger, but I wasn't sure if the standard kit would throw up Canbus errors.
I like the lights, although I have not ridden them at night.  They are much brighter and I like the additional visibility.
I didn't change the Hibeam.  These take a few seconds to warm up, so they aren't great for the high.  I might put an LED in there at some point.
I used same, DDM Plus, 35w  4000k. You will love them at night! Used a LED Weisslicht for HI.
Have them for 16k mil. and no issues. Even longer on my previous bike, and they still work.