Spare Canbus socket on 2017 LE

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
ifmhome

Spare Canbus socket on 2017 LE

Post by ifmhome »

Hi All
Trying to fit a Roadhawk cam to the front of the bike - bought the Nippy Norman 3 wire connector and fitted the mount beneath the headlamp - but cant find the spare connector ?
Taken the screen off, the RHS speaker cover and RHS fairing panel; tried accessing it from underneath around the forks - but nothing.

The only canbus connector I can see feeds the horn - can anyone point me (literally) in the right direction please ?

Many thanks
Ian
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Spare Canbus socket on 2017 LE

Post by beemerboy9 »

John Bentall
ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Hi John

Thanks for your reply - appreciated

I have read all of that posting and taken off the speaker cover on the nearside (UK) but still cant see any spare canbus fittings at all ?

Beginning to wonder if BMW still provide it - that said you would expect the loom to have the wiring for the satnav (which I don't have) but having taken off the screen I couldn't get at the screws to remove the dash above the satnav as there is not enough clearance with the screen riser arms

I suppose the alternative is to run wires to the battery, but I was hoping for a canbus connection as I want the camera to switch off and on with the ignition

Thanks
Ian

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ifmhome wrote:I suppose the alternative is to run wires to the battery, but I was hoping for a canbus connection as I want the camera to switch off and on with the ignition.
Can the front power socket on the RHS fairing panel be used. The wires could be spliced in to, I believe that the socket will switch on/off with the ignition.
ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Hi
Yes - I suppose it could - but I have read many warnings against splicing into the Canbus stuff - besides I need to get my money out of the £19 wire I bought from NN!

Seriously, its only got 300 miles on it - and my electrical competence is at the 'bodge it and see if it works' sort of level ...
cheers
Ian
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ifmhome wrote:I need to get my money out of the £19 wire I bought from NN!
NN says, "The Canbus connector on the new R1200RT LC is located in the area behind the meter panel. Need to remove windshield and a panel behind it to access."

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08- ... mw-harness
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Where is R1200RT LC GPS connector on the wiring loom, http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... iring-loom
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ifmhome wrote:Having taken off the screen I couldn't get at the screws to remove the dash above the sat nav as there is not enough clearance with the screen riser arms.
With the ignition off, the screen will return to the lowest position. Switch the ignition on, raise the screen arms, does this give sufficient clearance to access the screws.

ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Thanks, didn't think of leaving the ignition on while doing the work- will  try that tonight

Regards
Ian
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The "spare" Canbus socket on bikes with SatNav prep is plugged into the SatNav mount- thus there is no longer a "spare".

You need to tap into the loom or the back of the power socket. If you turn the camera off when not in use there should be no residual power drain.
John Bentall
ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Hi John

I have a 2017 LE I took delivery of in January -- it was originally destined to be a demo bike.

I don't think that it had Satnav prep (certainly no satnav) - do you know if that means the connector is 'spare' in the sense I can plug into it ? Or does it make no difference ?

That would mean I cant use my £19 connector --- and have to go to the battery - thats a blow !

So now point taking the screen off again then ?

Thanks
Ian
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

If you do not have a SatNav cradle and blanking plate or do not intend to use the existing SatNav cradle, then the connector at the end of the bike loom will be "spare".
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the sat. nav. mount cradle & cover for a 2017 RT, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=65_2740

One socket/plug is likely to be for power & the other audio. The wiring harness on the bike must have corresponding sockets/plugs, can't see BMW fitting a different main wiring harness whether a sat. nav. is fitted or not. Therefore, surely there must be somewhere to pick up a "plug in" power supply from without having to splice/break-in to any wires.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Hi
Thanks again - that makes sense

I do have the cradle and the blanking plate, and at present only plan on using the bike for commuting, so no need for a satnav.

Having the 'protection' of video evidence in the event of an accident is much more important to me - will pull it apart again at the weekend and let you all know

Best
Ian
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the shape of the NN connector, (same as the BMW part),  it will connect to the OEM wiring harness once the (upper) sat. nav. mount cradle power supply socket/plug has been disconnected.

NN connector

BMW part

The three yellow wires on the BMW plug are very helpfully marked with corresponding numbering (1, 2 and 3).

(1) = (-ve earth)
(2) = (not required)
(3) = (+ve power)

The NN connector should be the same.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.