Spare Canbus socket on 2017 LE

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Old-Git

Re: Spare Canbus socket on 2017 LE

Post by Old-Git »

I have sat nav prep and radio on mine (glad the previous owner paid for them) so I'm going to power my roadhawk via USB, fed from the hella socket. Hoping the camera will power on and start recording whenever there is power to it....
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Old-Git wrote:I'm going to power my roadhawk via USB, fed from the hella socket.
Are you going to use a plug in USB converter, something like this one.

Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Yep although mine is on a lead and had two USB sockets. Unfortunately I think my plan has a flaw - I think that unless the leads as supplied are used then it won't switch on with the ignition, which is a PITA.....
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

and of course that plan has a flaw cos if you use the remote you can't keep it powered. So hard wiring it is, now I'm thinking + and - direct to battery (fused tho) and the switched feed off the back of the hella socket.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I put a relay on the bike, powered direct from the battery  and the switched feed is from the back of the Aux socket on the right fairing.  Not had any issues with auto powering down and I have the same model.

ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Afternoon all

Finally got around to taking off the screen and the dash/console top to find there is a spare socket! Good news, the job is nearly done.

But no way will the cable sourced from Nippy Norman fit it    :not: - the spare socket has a 'male' 2 pin arrangement, whilst the cable from NN is also 'male' and with 3 pins, corresponding to the 3 yellow wires.

I took a picture of the two together and will see if I can post it to the forum

The satnav socket (which I don't use) seemed to be an entirely different shape, and was part of the wiring loom to the dash clocks

So - still don't want to cut into the wiring loom to get a feed for the camera, but need an entirely different connector - assuming the one spare is actually live

Anyone done this on a 2017/2018 RT LE ?

thanks Again

Ian
ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Cheers
ian
Attachments
IMG-2443.JPG
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ifmhome wrote:The spare socket has a 'male' 2 pin arrangement.

Still don't want to cut into the wiring loom to get a feed for the camera, but need an entirely different connector.
Your friendly BMW dealer should be able to supply a plug to fit the spare 2 pin socket, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_2484
ifmhome

Post by ifmhome »

Thanks - they make the N Normans plug look cheap !

I have emailed NN to ask them for a suitable plug - if the latest RT LE does have a spare socket that fits the plug NN supplied, I certainly cant find it

Cheers
Ian