Portable gel seat pad

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Portable gel seat pad

Post by jackronner »

For those who want a little more, or a little firmer, padding, I've used the following products for years.  It's kind of like having a reserve tank for your butt:  both can give you a bunch more miles at the end of the day.

Varying thicknesses, but they all have a hole where your tailbone is which is very nice.  Thru that hole is also a cloth strip that serves as a handle, and when you lift it the two sides of the pad fold down to half size (downside:  kinda looks like your carrying a handbag - make sure it matches your shoes!!).  I thread a small bungie over the strip and under the pad and attach it to the bike frame.  Here's the link (I don't know shipping costs - they're in Arizona).

Blueboy

Re: Portable gel seat pad

Post by Blueboy »

Please attach the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Oops, sorry. Brain fart. gelcoproducts.com. They're also on Amazon if you Google it.  I'll be going cross countries (plural) this summer, in that I'm going from California to the east coast, up to Quebec City and then back across Canada to Vancouver, where my sis lives.  The Gelco will help, I'm sure.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Them gel  seats are great and a must for the avid live sports spectator.
As for the bike, am sure it helps, but is easy to forget it on, and they
will walk away in a hurry... Since i reupholstered my extra low bench
seat, inserted a thin gel pad in the seat foam, under the cover. Didn't
have any long rides with it yet, so can't say if it is exactly what i want
in a seat. But thanks sharing the idea with us! :pee:
Attachments
IMG_0873.JPG
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

temesvar wrote:......
As for the bike, am sure it helps, but is easy to forget it on, and they
will walk away in a hurry... ..... thanks for sharing the idea with us!...

Hide it under a sheepskin and you'll be able to ride around the world non-stop !  ;)

I've actually got a piece of exercise mat cut to shape under a sheepskin, but the biggest improvement to seat comfort for me was to put the seat in the higher position. Not only do I get more leg room, it seems to raise the front more than the back which seems to put the seat at a more comfortable angle for me. My inside leg measurement is 32" and I ordered the bike with the high seat. I can still flat foot with the seat in the higher position, so I don't know what tall people do !
(The bike is a 2017MY RT LE)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

that odd,  im 32" inside leg and have the standard seat but cant flat foot both feet if i put it in the high position.
not sure how much taller the high seat is though?  maybe i need to re-measure my inside leg as i may be shrinking with age
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Maz12 wrote: that odd,  im 32" inside leg and have the standard seat but cant flat foot both feet if i put it in the high position.
not sure how much taller the high seat is though?  maybe i need to re-measure my inside leg as i may be shrinking with age
Looking at the Airhawk and lots of good reviews... May try one....Anyone have this?

Blueboy
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My wife uses an Air Hawk on the pillion all the time. I take it with me on long solo trips, but have never yet used it, I seem to be able to ride all day with the standard seat, with normal breaks every 1.5 hours. Its like all things, some love Air Hawks some hate them. The key seems to be, not to have too much air in it.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Maz12 wrote: that odd,  im 32" inside leg and have the standard seat but cant flat foot both feet if i put it in the high position.
Reading your comment first thing this morning. Couldn't agree with you more:
"maybe need to re-measure ~inside~my~ leg as may be shrinking with age"
:thinking: :silence: :alas: :whistle: :whistle:

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I'm 5'11" but long-waisted, 32" inseam, and can't completely flat-foot it.  Backing up is the real trial;  I've tended to shift my butt on the seat to the appropriate side so that I have at least one foot flat and able to get a reliable purchase on the road.  Here are some other suggestions to lower the seat height from a former post of mine:

[size=2px]I've just bought a 2005 R1200RT.  If you, too, find the bike a bit tall and unsteady - can't quite flat-foot it - here are a couple of ideas.  Pls let me know if there are any downsides to them.[/size][/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px]I just totally removed the movable height adjusters under the driver's seat.  Lowers the seat about another inch.  Doesn't seem to contact the battery, etc. under the seat.  [/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][/size][/size][size=2px][size=2px]Even at a long-waisted 5'11", I find that, especially when backing it up a slight incline or rough ground, it's an adventure.  Fix:  popping off the lower anchor of the front pegs' return spring (which tensions the front pegs forward) will allow you to fold them up during such maneuvers (manoeuvres if you're from the UK).  This prevents barked shins and bone bruises from the pegs, and allows a greater range of motion for your legs;  and, since you no longer have to adopt a wider stance to avoid the pegs, a smaller rider can point their legs straight down and take advantage of every inch of inch-seam.  This and the torturous upright position almost dissuaded me from buying the RT, but these fixes help with both problems.  Pass it around if you see someone struggling.[/size][/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][/size][/size]
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

We need to be clear, when talking about RTs, whether they are pre- or post-2014.  I found my wethead much lower, or at least easier to flat-foot, with the optional high seat than on my previous RTs.  I know it sounds strange, but I find the high seat in the high position similar to the standard seats I had before.  As I said before - I don't know what people with long legs do !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Casbar wrote: My wife uses an Air Hawk on the pillion all the time. I take it with me on long solo trips, but have never yet used it, I seem to be able to ride all day with the standard seat, with normal breaks every 1.5 hours. Its like all things, some love Air Hawks some hate them. The key seems to be, not to have too much air in it.
Thanks..Just ordered one.[emoji1303]🛵

Blueboy