Why don't people post on here

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Why don't people post on here

Post by Casbar »

An in interesting comment was made on another thread as to why we have so many members but so few posts. The link was made to the negative or alternative views people post as to the reason why there are very few posts.

But how about some of the reasons being, there is no bar room chat, so all that ever gets posted is RT related bits, which to be honest has pretty much been done to death, maybe that will change when we have a new model.

Another reason could be, if anyone dares to have an alternative opinion about an OPs post, that doesn't follow the "wow thats fantastic, I want one or lets move in together" - the resident snow flakes pop up and start to push their moral view of the world, which if you think about it, is just the same as what they are complaining about.  :whistle:
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Why don't people post on here

Post by B787MECH »

Very well said. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest5341

Post by guest5341 »

As a newbie to the forum (who takes delivery of my R1200RT next week) let me make two comments to this thread.

1. There is no dedicated thread on this forum where new members can introduce themselves and their bikes, what they hope to achieve from being part of the forum, and be welcomed.  On other bike forums that I  frequent this is an important part of making new members feel welcome and part of the forum community.

2. As a newbie to the R1200RT I have a lot to learn and the long term members have a lot to offer those who are new to the bike. Pretty well all I know is what I've read in the Owners Manual.  It's a good thing that "RT related bits ....  have been done to death" as it means that there is a body of knowledge, ideas and skills that new members like me can draw upon.  Encourage and support your new members and the forum participation will grow.

I look forward to interacting with those who can answer my basic questions that everyone except me knows the answer to, sharing stories of the road, and making new long distant friends.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Good morning everyone on the RT forum, I hope you enjoy your day  :)

Ps. Shouldn't this thread be in the 'general chat' section?
Last edited by simbo on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

simbo wrote: Good morning everyone on the RT forum, I hope you enjoy your day  :)

Ps. Shouldn't this thread be in the 'general chat' section?
Although I agree with the second half of your post, I hope you realise that there may be people out there who do not wish to enjoy their day and therefore may be offended. Just saying.  :D

P.S. Also think there should be a chat room and a welcome section.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The R 1200 RT has been in production since 2005. Looking at this poll of models owned, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=7275#p7275, most owners who voted, have the latest (from 2014) "Wethead" or LC RT.

New bikes in the UK come with a 2 year warranty, therefore, it's unlikely that owners will attempt their own maintenance. Another reason for lack of maintenance/technical discussion could be bikes may be purchased on finance deals e.g. PCP's etc. with bikes being replaced every 2 or 3 years.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The response to the rearview camera post recently is why it’s so quiet on here.  Express your opinion on anything with a bit of banter and the world goes mad.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps folks prefer to do their own thing or not advertise what they are up to.

Regional meets were suggested, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8, but only the "Northern Monkeys" seem to have stood the test of time & continue to meet up.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Perhaps we could have a glossary of terms;

humour, banter, alternative and opinion on the one hand and patronising, condescending and derogatory bull$h1t on the other.

There may be others.

Edit; forgot sarcasm and then there's omniscience.
Last edited by k9doc on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is not the first time "Site Conduct", https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8 and "Forum Etiquette", https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=31195#p31195 have been discussed.

Having met STeinar in Norway, he is a very reasonable chap, I hope he doesn't get fed up & feel the need to "pull the plug" on this forum.

Surely the "model specific" forum was set up to provide owners & potential new owners with a safe & enjoyable area to discuss their bikes & motorcycling experiences with likeminded people.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: This is not the first time "Site Conduct", /viewtopic.php?t=8 and "Forum Etiquette", /viewtopic.php?p=31195#p31195 have been discussed.

Having met STeinar in Norway, he is a very reasonable chap, I hope he doesn't get fed up & feel the need to "pull the plug" on this forum.

Surely the "model specific" forum was set up to provide owners & potential new owners with a safe & enjoyable area to discuss their bikes & motorcycling experiences with likeminded people.
Well said, timely reminder.

More generally, agree with your comments re 'a model specific forum' but surely there is room for a section where people can have a bit of craic and discuss the issues of the day, even have good natured disagreements, as with most other forums. Partake or not as you see fit.
The library used to be the place to go for a quiet read or a little research, but it would be better IMO if you could pop into the pub/coffee bar next door for a bit of chat to lighten the mood, lift the spirits and then back to the serious stuff.
Last edited by k9doc on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: Well said, timely reminder.

More generally, agree with your comments re 'a model specific forum' but surely there is room for a section where people can have a bit of craic and discuss the issues of the day, even have good natured disagreements, as with most other forums. Partake or not as you see fit.
The library used to be the place to go for a quiet read or a little research, but it would be better IMO if you could pop into the pub/coffee bar next door for a bit of chat to lighten the mood, lift the spirits and then back to the serious stuff.

+1 it'd be a bit boring logging into a Haynes manual every day lol
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
LAF

Post by LAF »

I like reading this forum and getting insight into another culture and country.

However this is a tuff crowd so I do not bother posting much at all any longer.  Just not worth any of the negative comments or responses.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

LAF wrote:This is a tuff crowd so I do not bother posting much at all any longer.
Looking back at your posts, you are a very knowledgeable, with a lot to offer this forum & its readers.

Don't let a very small minority spoil it for the majority.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.