Fuel filler neck mod.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
SteveC

Fuel filler neck mod.

Post by SteveC »

[size=13px]I filled my RT (lc) with fuel and tried to brim it. It took 21.53L with about 40 miles showing to empty. [/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]A few bikes ago (R1200gs) I did the fuel filler mod. Just removed the t25 screws and lifted the fuel filler neck out.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]This afternoon I thought I would do the same. After removing the screws I couldn't get the filler to part company with the body work completely. At the rear it was lifting ok but at the front it seemed like a tab was engaged and didn't want to start forcing it.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]I have done a search but couldn't find this info. Yes a nice one on removing the tank but that started with all the plastic removed.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]My bike has a keyed fuel tank.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]Do you have to remove the centre trim panel to remove the fuel filler ?[/size][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]On the video I watched the keyless filler had tabs at the front and a wire going forward to join the loom some where.[/size][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]So its 2 questions really, what has to come off to lift the filler neck out.[/size][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]next if any body has done it did it make a difference to the tank capacity.[/size]
bighopper

Re: Fuel filler neck mod.

Post by bighopper »

Take a look at the fiche at MaxBMW https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsM ... d=07242017
It might help, can't see why it shouldn't lift up to get to the filler neck.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

On my Sept 2014 LC it always took ages to "fill" the tank. The handbook said to put the bike on the side stand and don't allw the fuel to rise up the neck. But filling very slowly the air would escape and you coukd get another few litres in. It might not sound much but every little helps.
On my new April 2018 bike the handbook say to put the bike on the centre stand when filling and again not to let the fuel rise up the neck.
I may have misunderstood your post but removing the neck and allowing more fuel in, wouldn't that have the effect of overfilling the tank???
When I go to Germany in May I would like to get as much fuel in as I can at each fill.
:)
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Bighopper, will have a look as you suggest. Sometimes these diagrams don't always give the full picture. I just want to avoid breaking any tabs.
Thanks.

Beejay, the space I'm after would be a void space for expansion. Yes you would have to be selective when you filled it up. Thats if fuel could occupy this space. So I won't be filling it up and disappearing for some Tapas.

Im off to Spain in 4 weeks and would like to sort this before I depart.

For readers info all BM fuel necks aren't the same. Yes I did a single cam GS fuel filler mod years back and that worked just fine. My last bike a 2011 R1200r had a slot in the filler neck very close to the top of the tank. I had the filler out and there was nothing to be gained by drilling any extra vents.

If your riding in certain parts of Europe on a Sunday then fuel can become a problem. Spain can seem closed on a Sunday in the county. A bit extra in the tank gives a bit reassurance.

Thanks for the replies.

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

In the past, I THINK it was my old 1200GT (might have been a Triumph) the trick was to drill a small hole in the top of the filler neck to let the air out.  Needed to be careful though as that made it easy to overfill.  Anyone tried that with an RT?
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

SteveC wrote: I filled my RT (lc) with fuel and tried to brim it. It took 21.53L with about 40 miles showing to empty. [/font][/size]A few bikes ago (R1200gs) I did the fuel filler mod. Just removed the t25 screws and lifted the fuel filler neck out.This afternoon I thought I would do the same. After removing the screws I couldn't get the filler to part company with the body work completely. At the rear it was lifting ok but at the front it seemed like a tab was engaged and didn't want to start forcing it.I have done a search but couldn't find this info. Yes a nice one on removing the tank but that started with all the plastic removed.My bike has a keyed fuel tank.Do you have to remove the centre trim panel to remove the fuel filler ?On the video I watched the keyless filler had tabs at the front and a wire going forward to join the loom some where.So its 2 questions really, what has to come off to lift the filler neck out.next if any body has done it did it make a difference to the tank capacity.
I have done this modification and (for me) it is very worthwhile. Filling right up to the brim is much easier. Here's the caveat: if you fill to the brim, make sure you intend riding away and doing a decent ride otherwise that precious juice will expand and disappear from the tank and out of the breather.

All the tupperware comes off including the tank cover. The filler unit is removed. The long tube that protrudes into the tank can just be twisted off. Then just pop a 6mm hole through the short stub tube in the area shown.
Attachments
Filler neck with extension tube.JPG
Filler neck with drilled hole.JPG
Filler neck and extension tube.JPG
Last edited by bandytales on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Bandytales,

What a superb reply. Yes I had no intention of parking it up after filling.

After seeing such a detailed response it would be amiss of me not to attempt it.

Top reply and worthy of a moderator making it a sticky in the modification section.

(being new to this forum I don't know if thats how you do things)

Steve