Fork Stanchion Recall

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Fork Stanchion Recall

Post by Our Gee »

Browsing various BMW forums I have just noticed that there was a recall to carry out a mod on the Fork Stanchions on R1200GS models. Aparently under certain conditions the Stanchion (fork tube) can become detached from the upper steering casting (triple clamp). Has anyone heard if this problem has been found on R1200RT models ?.
Thanks.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Fork Stanchion Recall

Post by timminator »

I have wondered the same thing, but cannot find any information to confirm either way.  Seems like most GS riders are working their forks harder than most RT riders, so may not have the same potential for this particular problem.
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Don't panic", this article confirms that the safety recall is only for GS & GSA models built between November 2013 and June 2017.

BMW R1200GS and GSA fork safety recall, https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... ety-recall
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for that David.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I used the add on Stanchion brackets on my RT.

I do not get it most GS do not go off road, I would say 85% never leave the road. 

So the crimps were bad.  They are using the same crimping method on  RT as they did on the GS.  Still BMW insists the RT is finw as it is not subjected to the same forces as a GS.

I kinda buy into that but I know I ran my RT faster than I do my GS.  I ran it loaded down with way more weight than I do on my GS.  I corner harder and excerpt way more side force on the RT than my GS.  But hey BMW says RT does not need them.

Like I said I used these as BMW would not let me buy them and pay for the install on my 15 RT>

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/stanch-clamp-for-bmw-1200gs-a-water-cooled-stanchion-reinforcement.1196687/

When I traded the bike I took them off.  Have them packed and gonna sell them someday.

It gave me piece of mind, added mass on the triple tree, and did not look bad at all.

My 17.5 GS has the fix on the forks so no worries.

Still say if the crimps are the same and one bike is deemed unsafe, why not the other bike that is identical?