Headlight Protectors

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Headlight Protectors

Post by Levisp »

Question are they any good ? Nippy's do one at £29 - 3mm thick acrylic and it sits 4 mm from headlight. Over the past three years I have had 3 Pheasants hit me. The last one did the most damage. However unlikely its going to happen again it could and paying out another £648 ( I got some discount ) again would make me very unhappy. It also got me thinking that the roads around here are getting so bad that next time its more likely to be a stone rather than a bird. So guys what are your thoughts.
Maz12

Re: Headlight Protectors

Post by Maz12 »

Having seen the Damage done to yours, and the cost of a replacement.  I think I need to buy one
robparky
Great Britain

Post by robparky »

First thing I bought from Nippy when i bought my bike  - didn't fancy the cost of BMW new headlight unit.  Now got a few chips from stones so can probably justify it has worked well.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Robparky wrote: First thing I bought from Nippy when i bought my bike  - didn't fancy the cost of BMW new headlight unit.  Now got a few chips from stones so can probably justify it has worked well.

Before I picked my bike up I got dealer to apply the full Ventureshield treatment. That included the headlight. Ventureshield has worked well for flying small stones but obviously not birds. I'm sure headlight protectors will work for small objects but larger I'm not so sure.

Anyway I have decided to buy the Nippy one and ride into the sunset  :)
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Showing out of stock at NN,  I will try one of the other makes
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Maz12 wrote: Showing out of stock at NN,  I will try one of the other makes

Headlight shield New product - low stock.

https://www.nippynormans.com/headlight- ... r1200rt-lc
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Could someone post a photo of it fitted if possible. Would be interested in how well it fits and the Velcro fasteners. Thanks[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Levisp wrote:
Headlight shield New product - low stock.

https://www.nippynormans.com/headlight-protectors/headlight-shield-for-bmw-r1200rt-lc
d
Cheers for that,  ordered mine now
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

B787MECH wrote: Could someone post a photo of it fitted if possible. Would be interested in how well it fits and the Velcro fasteners. ThanksImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I get my bike together hopefully by the end of next week I will post a photo of headlight shield fitted. Should be getting the new headlight unit on Tuesday from BMW. Bike already stripped. All good fun.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Maz12 wrote: d
Cheers for that,  ordered mine now
Ditto ! Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Protector arrived today. Made by R&G. Comes with tiny 3M clear lock fixings. No instructions. Decided the easiest way to fit would be to push the lock fixings together and then stick onto protector first. Offer up to headlight and check that all the fixings are in a good place. I then removed the backing off the centre 4 fixings and very carefully stuck protector to headlight. Then I removed protector from headlight to remove backing off the outer 4 fixings and finally re-attached to headlight. Hope this makes sense. Easy enough job if you take your time. Mines on as straight as I can get it. Hope the photos are useful.
Attachments
IMG_0181 (1).jpg
IMG_0180 (1).jpg
IMG_0179 (1).jpg
IMG_0178 (1).jpg
IMG_0177.jpg
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Levisp wrote: Protector arrived today. Made by R&G. Comes with tiny 3M clear lock fixings. No instructions. Decided the easiest way to fit would be to push the lock fixings together and then stick onto protector first. Offer up to headlight and check that all the fixings are in a good place. I then removed the backing off the centre 4 fixings and very carefully stuck protector to headlight. Then I removed protector from headlight to remove backing off the outer 4 fixings and finally re-attached to headlight. Hope this makes sense. Easy enough job if you take your time. Mines on as straight as I can get it. Hope the photos are useful.
Thanks for the info but cannot see any photos...
Waiting for mine.
Cheers

Blueboy
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hopefully you should be able to see them now.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Levisp wrote: Hopefully you should be able to see them now.
Yes thanks [emoji1303]

Blueboy
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Looks tidy!  I'll get one on order.  Thanks for the pics