Back and shoulder pains

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Duggie

Back and shoulder pains

Post by Duggie »

I’m meant to be heading off to northern spain in August for 2 wks touring, at the moment every time i ride the bike I’m suffering with back and shoulder pains, so much so I’m unable to ride the bike the following day, not sure what’s causing the problems but if it carries on I’m going to have to cancel my trip.
I’m gutted as I’ve been planning this trip for mths.

Duggie
stayingupright

Re: Back and shoulder pains

Post by stayingupright »

Have you tried any of the normal steps? ...

Foot peg lowering kit or bar risers
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

I haven’t, no.
The RT isn’t a new bike to me, but riding 150-200 miles a day is causing me problems, I wasn’t planning on doing that everyday in Spain but there are days where I intended to cover that distance, not being able to ride the following day will be a issue
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs here, but are you gripping the bars too hard and tensing up as a result?  It happened to me, that's how I know.  Being conscious of it means you can correct it.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes extremely frustrating when you’re not sure what’s causing the pain. Personally, I’d get off to the quack/physio and have a professional take a look, because as you rightly say, if you’re planning on doing 150-200 miles on some days, the last thing you want is to wake up when you’re abroad and unable to ride the bike with that sort of pain.....IMHO. If you can get some relevant physiotherapy in the meantime and scrutinise your bike ergonomics, you hopefully won’t have to cancel the trip in August. Anyway, best of luck in sorting it out Duggie👍🙂
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

Visit to the docs yesterday and X-rays taken on back and shoulder last night.
Physio is the next port of call.
Was tempted to swap the bike over to the car for the ferry booking but it’s totally booked now

Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

I used to be bad with this and put it down to tension. Blamed the wife on the back.
Since then,  i have sat more upright rather than slouching and leaning forward
Problem all but gone away
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

Have a horrible feeling it’s probably arthritis, runs in the family and I’m just hitting 57 so I’m in that age group now, find out once the doc receives the X-ray results
johnesherman

Post by johnesherman »

Duggie wrote: Have a horrible feeling it’s probably arthritis, runs in the family and I’m just hitting 57 so I’m in that age group now, find out once the doc receives the X-ray results
Do you ride relaxed—-arms, hands, shoulders—-no using bars for upper body support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Sherman R1200RT Tacoma WA USA
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I have terrible lower back pain or sciatica, but can travel for hundreds of miles with the following mod.  It gives you about 5" of rearward placement of the left handlebar, allowing me to lean backward against my load (don't know if your lady would like it).  Like sitting on a recliner.  Also allows you to lower the windscreen for a more aerodynamic profile and better mileage.

I just bought a piece of perforated stainless steel, bent it and affixed it with a longer bolt to the bar end.  Covered it with a stuffed section of hoover hose and Robert's yer muvvers bruvver.  It works a treat along with the cruise control.  Leaning back also changes the pressure points on your bottom, and may even re-kindle passion's fires with you pillion passenger!'
Attachments
handlebar fix (1).jpg