Engine Oil Filter Correct Fitting

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Engine Oil Filter Correct Fitting

Post by Our Gee »

Firstly, I have never had a problem with changing the Oil Filter. However, as my present Filter was difficult to remove I have paid a bit more attention to fitting the replacement (BMW). The instructions on the filter are as follows. “Fill the filter with oil, screw into position until gasket seats, then tighten by hand”. The Haynes Manual gives a torque value of 11Nm which does seem a good bit more than hand tight. Anyone had any problems in this regard or trouble removing an over tightened filter ?. 2013 Twin Cam.
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Engine Oil Filter Correct Fitting

Post by David. »

The previous oil filter was fitted by a BMW dealer, that could have been the problem.

No mention of applying a smear of oil to the rubber sealing ring on the filter.

The Hiflo oil filter has a recommended torque value of 8 - 12Nm.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

I always fit oil filters by hand and only do them up hand tight, I have never had a problem on any car or bike I've owned 
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I do always lightly lube the seal ring with engine oil before fitting. Maybe dealers, not wanting any possible claims of negligence after a filter became loose, depositing oil over the rear tyre do nip them up that bit extra ?.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

An old mechanic told me to smear used oil on the new filter's seal ring. Gave an explanation why that
is better than the new oil, didn't pay attention, Wish i did! Make sure it threads on easy, all the way,
and just hand tight it. You will never have a problem. And he was right!...so far  :alas:

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Be 100% sure when changing filter the old gasket is not stuck to engine, otherwise 100% sure it will leak!!
A thin film of oil on gasket and tighten to 11nm, you should be good to go, proper filter wrench made for your filter end, will ensure filter does not get crushed
Jim
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Good point Jim, I always check that the seal ring is attached to the filter on removal and this last time, low and behold it was stuck to the seal face on the housing. First time that’s happened to me.