Shoei neotec mod

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Hodge

Shoei neotec mod

Post by Hodge »

Just thought i would share a little modification to my shoei neotec. I hot conditions the vents don't allow enough cool air into the helmet as my bonce compresses the lining as it should. I have simply stuck some medium density draft type excluder to the helmet to allow the inner lining and the hard density foam to have a 2mm air gap. The difference is amazing and it makes no difference to comfort other than keeping me cooler
20180501_143438.jpg
20180501_143438.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Shoei neotec mod

Post by Steve F »

I can understand your wanting to improve internal air flow, but, heaven forbid, in the event of a spill onto your bonce, how will the draught excluder compress against the foam/lining and ultimately your bonce? Just my two penneth......
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

In my opinion that has to be the most stupid comment ever.  2mm of med density foam will only enhance, even if it does that...Thanks for your input

BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I was wondering that myself so glad I didn't comment.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

First off  Hodge chill brother,  I don't know Steve at all , but there's a slight chance he might just be joking, maybe. or maybe Steve might have some Bonce damage himself.

Either way , thanks for the mod info, I might have to give it a try on my neotec!.

Steve, I thought it was funny as he'll  :alas:

I might have to read these forums more often.

Last edited by Cracker on Wed May 02, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hodge wrote: In my opinion that has to be the most stupid comment ever.  2mm of med density foam will only enhance, even if it does that...Thanks for your input

You are perfectly entitled to think what you like, but hey, some of us don’t modify the airflow configuration in our crash helmets for good reason. What happens in a head impact? The EPS layer greatly assists in absorbing the energy as your moving skull compresses against it. Now, does adding small draught excluder between the padded comfort layer and the EPS layer seem such a smart idea.....??

Stupid comment? I don’t think so!
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Well 1.8% of impacts are in the eps area so i suspect that 2mm extra is only going to help.  or perhaps if safety is so important Have you considered chess and sell the bike
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Just for you
Attachments
icon-airframe-statistic-helmet-0.jpg
icon-airframe-statistic-helmet-0.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

Well, I couldn't have been anymore wrong regarding Steve's comment. Sorry Hedge,
I rode this wknd, it was about 80degrees & thought that a bit more air flow would be a good thing.
I won't have any concerns trying the mod, I'll just make sure I don't hit the top of my head in a crash.
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Unfortunately, the pictures isn't available :?

Can you update this topic with some pictures ?
I use this helmet who is very comfortable but as you I would like more air fresh in summer :cheers:
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

jclaudej wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:10 pm Unfortunately, the pictures isn't available :?

Can you update this topic with some pictures ?
I use this helmet who is very comfortable but as you I would like more air fresh in summer :cheers:
Fixed them for you :thumb:
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Thank a lot for your help. If I understand this is the foam tape as shown with red arrow ?

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

A bit of foam tape that is around 2mm wide and 3mm high should not affect the helmet protection at all. If you had a crash the extra foam strips will just compress. On the other hand, if you had put a say a 10mm thick piece of foam that covers the entire top of your head, then i would worry.

When i was lecturing and designing at Oxford Uni my team was asked to test the safety of EPS helmet protection. We used to be asked a lot by the health and safety government departments and the MOD of the UK and EU to test equipment.
We added and removed foam of different densities, drilled holes in the shell, and did crash tests. As i said a couple of bits of draught excluder will not affect the protection offered by the helmet. Anyway, over the months the foam lining will start to compress with use. Some helmet manufacturers like Shoei offer different thicknesses of liner for their helmets and there is no ill effect on the safety of the helmet.
I could go on about EPS in helmets and what the conclusion was found in studies regarding EPS but i won't.
It's more important to buy a helmet that fits correctly in the first place.

Am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical engineering.
rbarker
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
Has liked: 2 times
Australia

Post by rbarker »

Cracker wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 am I rode this wknd, it was about 80degrees
I wish I had read this post before I went for a ride yesterday. 80 deg sounds like heaven, we had 106.7. My Neotec still hasn't dried out...