Return to riding

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest4915

Re: Return to riding

Post by guest4915 »

Kingron wrote: Hello everyone.  This is my first post here. I am in the same boat. I've been riding since '77 almost exclusively Harleys. From sportster to electaglide classics. My last was an 04 heritage. Memorial day 2010 I moved wrong and hurt my back. Bad enough for an ambulance ride to the ER. 1 cervical fusion, c5,6,&7, and 6 lumbar surgeries with l5,6, 7 & s1 fused. Drs say I need 1 more fusion now in both neck and lumbar. Screw it. Not going to happen. I am 59 and not ridden in 8 years. But, I am ready. I think I want an RT. I did ride the heritage short rides after neck surgery but before lumbar fusion. It was fine. Leaning forward a little is better than upright. So, time for a new to me bike and given what I like to do, I think an RT is it, even though I am now disabled and can no longer fix airplanes like I used to. I admit I am a little nervous about this, and hope I am not making an expensive mistake.  The search is on now and I have found 3 on craigs list that have my attention. A cherry 06, a nice 09, and what appears to be a standard 15 but it's listed really cheap at 9500. It must have a ton of miles.

My biggest concern is picking it up if I drop it, followed by how long can I stay in the saddle. Like some others I have short legs. 5' 9" with 28" inseam and with my weight gain, 200 pounds. I do have to be careful as I have a spinal cord implant and absolutely have to avoid pulling the wires loose that are now a part of my spinal cord. The fine dr says not to lift more than a milk jug. Yeah right. I have lifted 60 pounds and figure done correctly lifting an RT would be mostly legs. Am I right in that belief? I have dropped the EG and learned to back up into and under it with very little lifting. How hard is it to pick one of these up? Every time I have dropped a bike has been at a stop or backing up.

I have been bikeless for too long. The better half has given me the ok as long as I am careful and as long as I buy her a newer car next after the bike is paid for. I'm liking the RT community and the forums and can't wait to be an owner.
If you drop a bike like the RT, you're not likely to pick it up by yourself even if you were a young man in the peak of fitness. The RT is a fairly easy bike to push around because of the low centre of gravity and height of the bars and rear grab handles. On the move it gets even better and if you observe the usual low speed manoeuvring rules, you should find it a breeze.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I dropped mine a while back and got it back up, despite being the wrong side of sixty, with a metal hip, and spectacularly unfit.  The old technique of first gear (if you can), turn the bars away from you, then back in to the bike and lift with the legs.  That said I was a bit lucky because the bike did not roll over the cylinder head and was resting on that and the black bit of the pannier.  Not sure I'd like to do that again, but it can be done.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Sprintgull wrote: I dropped mine a while back and got it back up, despite being the wrong side of sixty, with a metal hip, and spectacularly unfit.  The old technique of first gear (if you can),turn the bars away from you, then back in to the bike and lift with the legs.  That said I was a bit lucky because the bike did not roll over the cylinder head and was resting on that and the black bit of the pannier.  Not sure I'd like to do that again, but it can be done.
I managed it with my last RT too, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to try it - I felt like I was going to burst a blood vessel !!  :eek:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I don’t think I had my rt a month when I forgot to put the side stand down in a parking lot. As I threw my leg over on the dismount, it was to late, she was going down. I was in a position to catch it in time just as the left side cylinder kissed the asphalt and heaved it back upright. I was 56 at the time and I’m no super human at 6’ 195lbs. I am a bricklayer by trade, not ripped like Mr. Universe but lifting the rt wasn’t that hard. I’ve also had 3 l5,s1 fusions in my lower spine. Technique is key.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

The average owner doesn't lay his bike on it's side and practice 'the technique' so is usually faced with the prospect red faced and frantic when it does happen. Having regularly placed large touring bikes on their side for this purpose, I'd say rather than try to be a hero, it's better to seek the help of a second person if possible
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Pickaxe wrote: The average owner doesn't lay his bike on it's side and practice 'the technique' so is usually faced with the prospect red faced and frantic when it does happen. Having regularly placed large touring bikes on their side for this purpose, I'd say rather than try to be a hero, it's better to seek the help of a second person if possible

Couldn’t agree more if you’re in a situation where there is help available. Mine happened when I was by myself.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hmmmm, would a damaged ego be less or more painful than a damaged back :) 

Like slowvet, I was alone in a car park at the time.  It was hammering down so there was a distinct lack of willing volunteers.