Front brake callipers

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Dengra3

Front brake callipers

Post by Dengra3 »

My bike recently failed its MOT as the front brake stuck on during the rolling road test, this loosened off when the bike was moved but I had not experienced the problem when riding the bike.  I contacted my usual BMW dealer who said that it I may as well have new callipers due to the bike having done 34,000 miles and that if they are cleaned the callipers would probably need replacing soon anyway.
I'm not very mechanical savvy but after looking on the net I can't see anywhere regarding the life of brake callipers and when they should be replaced etc, only cleaning and servicing them.
Due to the fact I ride my bike all year round and I have not noticed any sticking when I've been riding I imagine they callipers will only need cleaning, the cost of this has been quoted as about £200 while new callipers are about £800.
Not wanting to be cynical but are they trying to make a quick buck or are they giving me the best advice for me as they said the cost of cleaning and then replacing would obviously be a lot more money than just having new callipers?  Is it quicker and easier to replace callipers too instead of cleaning the callipers and again takes up less time of their staff in order to get more servicing/repairs done?
Any advice would be most welcome as I'm losing faith in my dealer.
Thanks
Old-Git

Re: Front brake callipers

Post by Old-Git »

What a rip. Plenty of places out there that will refurb your calipers for you, 800 for new ones is a joke. I had my gsxr600 calipers (all 3) done with new pistons for just over 300 at powerhouse, but there are others out there.
Last edited by Old-Git on Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This thread about Front brake piston service, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=6.msg38206#msg38206 might be worth a read.
Dengra3

Post by Dengra3 »

Thanks for the replies, so I’m correct in thinking there’s no mileage limit regarding the callipers or a service that includes calliper replacement. Unless pistons seize etc and cannot be freed or removed without damaging the calliper?
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Dengra3 wrote: Thanks for the replies, so I’m correct in thinking there’s no mileage limit regarding the callipers or a service that includes calliper replacement. Unless pistons seize etc and cannot be freed or removed without damaging the calliper?
The only guidance on time / mileage is related to the service schedule for pad check and / or fluid change.

Calliper operation and condition is generally governed by the climate in which you ride - needless to say, they will be in a lot better condition if you ride in a nice warm, dry climate like California as opposed to all year round in the UK where they spray all sorts of crap on the roads during winter.

Callipers are a normally serviceable items, not just discarded because you have covered a certain mileage - I would personally give this dealer a wide berth.
Good luck  ^-^
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

geordielad wrote:
Callipers are a normally serviceable items, not just discarded because you have covered a certain mileage - I would personally give this dealer a wide berth.
Good luck ^-^
+1
Dengra3

Post by Dengra3 »

Thanks for the information, I have the bike booked in with a local independent in the morning so we will see what was required and the cost.
I will update accordingly.
Thanks to those who have taken the time to help me.
Dengra3

Post by Dengra3 »

I took my bike in to the local independent and he was able to clean the callipers and release one of the pistons that was sticking.  It requires new brake pads which he will replace next week and look at the fluid as he thinks it may have some air in the system due to the brake pad on one side being badly worn compared to the other and the lever going almost all the way back to the handlebar. 
He has talked me through it and explained it all which was a great help due to my lack of mechanics and very reassuring.
Although I won't pay until next week when all the work is done I'm very sure it will be less than the £900 quoted by the BMW dealer to replace the Callipers.
Dengra3

Post by Dengra3 »

Forgot to add that it was quite clear from the screws holding the callipers in that they have not been removed in a long time, bearing in mind I have taken my bike to the dealers for at least three services I would like to think at least one of them included a service of the brakes.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

That's good news, let us know the final outcome.
Dengra3

Post by Dengra3 »

My hoop is cocked.  The local independent has provided new brake pads all round, two new Michelin Road pilot 4's having already cleaned and released the callipers on the front and carried out the MOT.  All for £400, which I am ecstatic about.
Considering the BMW garage wanted £900 to replace the calliper and a new front tyre. 
Also the waiting time for the BMW garage was 3 weeks whilst I was at the local garage the following week. 
Lesson learned about where to go in the future.
Thanks again for everybody's input.