Headlight & Tail Light Flashing

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jbarr

Headlight & Tail Light Flashing

Post by jbarr »

Hi folks:

I just took possession of my new 2017 rt two weeks ago.  One day when I was leaving my driveway my wife noticed that the headlight and tail lights were flashing/flickering in a rapid series of flashes which continued as I drove away.  I never noticed it, but my wife took a video of it on her phone and showed me when I got back home.  I don't think I have ABS Pro and even if I did, why would the headlight flash? And why would anything flash since I had not braked while leaving the driveway?  Any thoughts?

Jim
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Headlight & Tail Light Flashing

Post by smileymiley »

Jbarr, as the lights are leds, they work by switching on & off at a very high rate. Far faster than the human eye can detect. When filming, that slows the  rate, so it appears that the lights are flashing when the film is replayed.
That's the non technical answer, I'm sure someone will have the scientific one complete with equations!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Thanks for the reply Smileymiley. The only issue is that my wife could see them flashing with the naked eye and that is why she started filming it, so there must be another answer.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Does it still do it?  Weak battery?  If power is reduced to the LED bulbs they will flicker.  That is why my thought is with a weak battery.  Switch your dash display to Volts and watch what is going on there.  Not unheard of to have a bad battery even though it is "new".

Is it a NEW bike or just new to you?  If it is a new leftover 17 then take it to the shop. 
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

It is a new bike and the battery is good.  The flashing is in a pattern.  It has not occurred since, that I know of, but I'm not sure I would notice it. I did have my bike in for its 1000 km check and told the dealer about it and showed him the video.  He put the bike on the analyzer but there was no code. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on this issue and see if it recurs.

Thanks for your input folks.

Loving the RT!  Trying to attach a pic...but seem to be having issues [size=78%][attachimg=1][/size]
Attachments
r1200rt-2.jpg
LAF

Post by LAF »

I guess my question is how you know the battery is good?  Was it pulled from the bike and a load test done on it?  That is the only way to know it is good.  Just putting a volt meter on it is not an accurate indicator of a good battery.

Again switch you screen display to volts and keep an eye on it.

Also checking of battery leads would be a good idea.

If LED lights are flickering it is a low power issue of some type.

Let us know how it works out and enjoy you new bike.
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Thanks for the advice LAF....I will switch to the volt display and keep an eye on it.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Get wife checked out at specsavers maybe!