Tom Tom Rider

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
shahed

Tom Tom Rider

Post by shahed »

I have just picked up a 1200RT 2018 , would like to use my rider 450 gps , i have all the mounts , but need a 1 inch ram mount , any ideas where this can be mounted or where I can get the mount , I have been able to source a M8 threaded mount but not sure where on the bike I can fit it.

Many thanks
RaistlinRTCW

Re: Tom Tom Rider

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Hi

I have the following Telferizer ram mount that I got from Nippy Normans in the UK, you pull out the BMW rooundall on the handlebars centre and it fits in nicely
https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-lc-2014-on/ram-specific-ball-kit-for-r1200rt-lc-r1200rs-lc
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

I made my own havinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Hk-LNvxqw&t=414s watched this link.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I have fitted mine in the same place as a Garmin would fit.  Removed the Garmin fitment and then attached the  tomtom mount  needed to remove the screen and top part of the faring but  it was not difficult
Will try to post some pictures later
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

exportman wrote: Hi

I have fitted mine in the same place as a Garmin would fit.  Removed the Garmin fitment and then attached the  tomtom mount  needed to remove the screen and top part of the faring but  it was not difficult
Will try to post some pictures later

I have my phone mounted this way and have been using Tomtom Mobile Go app which I find very good. Would love to see some pics of the tomtom mounted to bike. How have you powered the tomtom mount ?
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I don't have the radio  so have mounted a fuse box behind the right hand speaker grill.  This has a switched feed from the battery  via a relay with the signal wire from the AUX socket on the right faring.  From here I power so marker lights  a two way radio and the tomtom.

The tom tom mount uses the same holes as the Garmin but I had to thread them from the back and added about 1 cm of spacers between the vertical  BMW plastic  so I could rotate the mount and remove the tomtom.  Hence the  carbon effect plastic.

Took me a little while to figure it all out  but it now works well and looks neat.  And when I sell the bike I can remount the original Garmin mount ( but I will probably have to put nuts on the end of the screws.)

Hopefully three pictures  below
Attachments
20180523_192323.jpg
20180523_192314.jpg
20180523_192308.jpg
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks exportman for the info and pics. Looks a neat job. I like the new Tomtom 550 maybe treat myself next year. The iPhone app is good but you cannot save a route or sync a route from MyDrive. I guess they want you to buy their satnav. Nice to know it will fit.
Ab2006

Post by Ab2006 »

Hi
I bought a dash trim panel and mounted it as the original.
Still have it complete with TomTom mount if you fancy it £45?
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Like the mount option exportman I have used a centre of handlebar mount on previous bikes as have used the lockable mount for the TomTom for when I stop at petrol stations etc.  but a very tidy job.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Love exportmans method for attaching his tomtom mount. Unfortunately the only downside for me is you have to remove the BMW nav harness and so can now no longer use this

https://www.nippynormans.com/gps-accessories/lead-for-connecting-any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness

for the power. You have to find a switchable power source that won't upset the Canbus.

In the pic of the harness the smaller plug which has black tape around it is where the nippy plug fits. The bigger plug plugs into bike harness. If one could get the bigger bike harness plug then that would be an easy way to get switchable power. I do not want to butcher the nav harness in case I need to refit it. Any ideas ?

UPDATE : I believe the above statement is now incorrect. The Nippy plug does in fact fit into the harness on the bike. However I have read that some folk have issues with the TomTom being powered from this plug. I have not done this so cannot confirm if this is correct or not. I have wired my TomTom through a separate harness staying away from the bikes CanBus. Sorry for the mis-information.
Attachments
Nav Harness.jpg
Last edited by Levisp on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Levisp wrote: Love exportmans method for attaching his tomtom mount. Unfortunately the only downside for me is you have to remove the BMW nav harness and so can now no longer use this

https://www.nippynormans.com/gps-accessories/lead-for-connecting-any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness

You dont need to completely remove it  you could tape it in the faring space.    Quick fix for the power would be the aux socket  just wire from that  others have done this and not had a problem,  I wanted  to power several things  hence the fuse box
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes I thought about aux socket but I use that to charge the bike so tomtom mount would then be live. Maybe there is a way to separate the cradle from the harness then it would be easier and neater to secure under the fairing. Well have to play.

The other solution is

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... RT-LC.html

and keep the BMW nav harness. Easy but not as neat as yours.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Joined the TomTom club.
Attachments
IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Take it phone navigation wasnt working for you?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

BoB21 wrote: Take it phone navigation wasnt working for you?

Yes / No. The TomTom Mobile Go app on my iPhone 8 plus worked very well. However you were unable to store routes/tracks. This was the only reason I bought the Rider. I can now plan a route or track on my MacBook and sync it to the Rider over WiFi. I can even plan a route on my phone and sync it to the Rider over Wifi or BT. The screen on the Rider is not as good as my iPhone. However the Rider works quicker. Its displays position on road more accurately and gps speed update is quicker. Off route calculation is also very quick. Overall I would give it 9/10