Which tyres for my RT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
NigelF

Which tyres for my RT

Post by NigelF »

I'm about to change both tyres on my 2017 RT. They have the Michelin Pilot 4GT's at the moment and are finished at 6,000 miles. I've used the Road Pilots on my previous bike (K1300s) and was always happy with the wear rate and ride. I just wondered if anyone had  tried the new Metzler 01? or any others ?
Sprintgull

Re: Which tyres for my RT

Post by Sprintgull »

Hello Nigel,
Welcome to the forum!  If you want to stick to BMW recommended tyres then your options are limited. Here's a link: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... _main.html

My 2016 RT came with Z8s and I didn't like them at all.  I switched to PR4s and find them a lot better.  Personal choice.  I used the PR3s on my previous bike, a K1300GT.

SOme of the guys on here have tried and liked Metzeler Roadtec01 and Dunlop Roadsmart III, but they are not BMW recommended.  What this would mean to the insurers if you were unfortunate enough to have an off seems uncertain.

Whatever, enjoy the bike!
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Hi Nigel,Dunlop Roadsmart III's for me. Good grip in all weathers. Excellent handling.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/d ... smart-iii/
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
NigelF

Post by NigelF »

Thanks chaps, I think I'll stick with the Michelins this year as I've been happy with them so far. Prices seem to vary as Edinburgh want £346, Dundee & Glasgow £288 & Carlisle £320. The down side is I live near Edinburgh...
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

NigelF wrote: Thanks chaps, I think I'll stick with the Michelins this year as I've been happy with them so far. Prices seem to vary as Edinburgh want £346, Dundee & Glasgow £288 & Carlisle £320. The down side is I live near Edinburgh...

Ride up to Dundee - it's a nice ride through Fife .....  ;)

On my last RT (2012MY) I got great mileage out of PR3s - I would have put them on my current bike (2017MY) but they're "not recommended".  I'm positive they'd be absolutely fine, but the bike's too new for comfort to be insisting that a BMW dealer fit non-recommended tyres.  It's just a pity that the only recommended tyres are significantly more expensive than most of the alternatives .....  :(
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
smileymiley
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

gogs01 wrote:
Ride up to Dundee - it's a nice ride through Fife .....  ;)

On my last RT (2012MY) I got great mileage out of PR3s - I would have put them on my current bike (2017MY) but they're "not recommended".  I'm positive they'd be absolutely fine, but the bike's too new for comfort to be insisting that a BMW dealer fit non-recommended tyres.  It's just a pity that the only recommended tyres are significantly more expensive than most of the alternatives .....  :( *
My local BMW dealer had no qualms about putting Dunlops on.... not sure if insurers would be that bothered about the tyres that were fitted by a main dealer.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

+1 for Michelin PR4 GTs!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

smileymiley wrote: My local BMW dealer had no qualms about putting Dunlops on.... not sure if insurers would be that bothered about the tyres that were fitted by a main dealer.

If Dunlop recommend the tyres for the RT, I can't see an insurer having any issue with them, regardless of who fits them.
I look forward to seeing how you find the Dunlops compared to PR4GTs.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
smileymiley
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

gogs01 wrote:
If Dunlop recommend the tyres for the RT, I can't see an insurer having any issue with them, regardless of who fits them.
I look forward to seeing how you find the Dunlops compared to PR4GTs.
On 2 +14 RT's these are my 4th full set, as said previously,  excellent grip in all weathers. I'm an all year biker.
Mileage probably more than the PR 4's previously used. I find that the tip in is much better than th PR 4's. More stable...
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 beat PR4, Roadsmart and other sport touring tyres in a Motorrad Magazine test.The Roadtec 01 have been the best feeling and gripping tyres I've had on my R1200Rt LC so far, out of Bridgestone T30, PR4 and The Roadtec.
Peter
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

pwbike wrote: The Metzeler Roadtec 01 beat PR4, Roadsmart and other sport touring tyres in a Motorrad Magazine test.The Roadtec 01 have been the best feeling and gripping tyres I've had on my R1200Rt LC so far, out of Bridgestone T30, PR4 and The Roadtec.
Could not agree more, I'm massive PR4/PR4GTs fan and had them on all my past bikes.  Based on the road test mentioned above I recently tried the Roadtec 01s and it is a real improvement...  I guess just the progress of technology!  Peter
CarbonB55

Post by CarbonB55 »

Just bought a 2016 rt le which came with squared of rear tyres and a poor front tyre , I have had a set of Metzler Roadtec 01 HWM fitted and in the short time I have ridden the bike ( dry only ) they are fantastic with no squirm like the bike I road fitted with PRS4 .
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Well I decided that when the wheel did this then it was time for a new tyre.  Gone for PR4s again as the last set served me well for 7700 miles and they were cheaper than Metzeler.  £258 the pair fitted to loose wheels @ Micheldever Tyres (those in southern UK will understand).  The new one falls over immediately :)
Attachments
DSC_1279.JPG
Toddy

Post by Toddy »

Good run to https://www.criefftyres.co.uk/
And these guys know their stuff.

BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Russes tyres portsmouth fitted set for £280 ride in ride out. Used micheldever in past as well both good.