Rode a GS yesterday...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Rode a GS yesterday...

Post by Sullivj »

My mate little Timmy asked me to take his GS1200 for an MOT yesterday, and as the sun was out, I was happy to oblige.

I have an air cooled 2012, and he has a wet head 2014. The first thing I noticed was the POWER difference. The GS felt like it could easily wheelie in any gear, just by a good twist of the wrist. Not a feeling I ever get on the RT, however much I give it the beans.

Secondly, the GS was much more fun in the twisties. Very easy to chuck it around, and easier to lean right over than the RT. With the lower seat fitted, I felt closer to the road and more confident in the GS's ability to take corners.

Comfort wise, it wasn't as armchair like as the RT, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

I still prefer the look of the RT, and the better weather protection for when it rains, but I will definitely consider a GS when I change.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Rode a GS yesterday...

Post by daverj »

I went from a 2015 RT to a 2017 GS via a 2016 Multistrada. Happy with my GS only thing I miss from the RT is the weather protection and how easy it was to keep clean compared to the GS. Dont miss the extra weight but it does feel like a more polished product than the GS, more power and less weight and I may be back on one.
R1250RT LE
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Mmmm..

No heated seat
No big electric screen
Poor weather protection
Ugly looks
No cruise control

And there is also the GS image "problem"!
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Just upgrade to wet head RT best of both worlds.
LAF

Post by LAF »

ds99 wrote: Mmmm..

No heated seat
No big electric screen
Poor weather protection
Ugly looks
No cruise control

And there is also the GS image "problem"!

Heated seat not needed if you wear electrics in the winter.  Besides I have a Saddle Man seat and it is heated,

I have no need for a sail in front of me, or help raising that sail.  My Aeroflow shield works great.

Weather protection ( we already discussed the windshield), meaning rain, and that is what Aero Stitch clothing is for, or any good rain suit.

I love the look of my GS with no bags just a tail bag,  how's that RT look without bags?  Looks are very subjective.

My bike has Cruise, cornering ABS Pro, DTC, Ride Mode Pro, SAP and all the bells you can get on a RT. Except a electric windshield and I never used mine on the RT.  I have yet to move the GS windshield since the AeroFlow shield went on.  The Ride Pro gives you Enduro Pro which allows you to turn all the nanny's off, ABS, DTC, and  allows you to run the bike with all the HP and all the Torque with no computer intervention.  That means all the wheelies, and drifting you want to do.  Enduro Pro is a beast!

Not sure of the image problem but again I think that must be subjective also.

All in all I loved my 15 RT, the 17.5 GS has made motorcycling very fun for me again, I love the bike. 

If you have not rode a new LC bike let alone a GS you need to try both.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

LAF wrote:
Heated seat not needed if you wear electrics in the winter.  Besides I have a Saddle Man seat and it is heated,

I have no need for a sail in front of me, or help raising that sail.  My Aeroflow shield works great.

Weather protection ( we already discussed the windshield),meaning rain, and that is what Aero Stitch clothing is for, or any good rain suit.

I love the look of my GS with no bags just a tail bag,  how's that RT look without bags?  Looks are very subjective.

My bike has Cruise, cornering ABS Pro, DTC, Ride Mode Pro, SAP and all the bells you can get on a RT. Except a electric windshield and I never used mine on the RT.  I have yet to move the GS windshield since the AeroFlow shield went on.  The Ride Pro gives you Enduro Pro which allows you to turn all the nanny's off, ABS, DTC, and  allows you to run the bike with all the HP and all the Torque with no computer intervention.  That means all the wheelies, and drifting you want to do.  Enduro Pro is a beast!

Not sure of the image problem but again I think that must be subjective also.

All in all I loved my 15 RT, the 17.5 GS has made motorcycling very fun for me again, I love the bike. 

If you have not rode a new LC bike let alone a GS you need to try both.

You have valid points, but really need to compare a 2014 or later LC RT to your mate's 2014 GS, this would be an apples to apples comparison.  I agree with all your points about engine power, but that's really a result of the LC, not specific to the GS.
BMW MOA #210438
ds99

Post by ds99 »

If Ewan and Charlie had used RTs it would have been a different story.
LAF

Post by LAF »

ds99 wrote: If Ewan and Charlie had used RTs it would have been a different story.

Yes but there is something to be said for "the right tool for the job".

ds99

Post by ds99 »

I mean the popularity of the RT vs GS would have been much different if they had used RTs
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

If Ewan and Charlie had rode KTMs there might be one more person still employed in their marketing department.  Bravo BMW for taking a punt on their exploits, but I wonder how long it was before KTM realised what an opportunity they'd missed.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

It has always baffled me why the GS is so popular considering 95% of owners only ever ride on the road, and the RT is a much better bike for that. Maybe they want to buy into the whole "adventure" kudos.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

ds99 wrote: It has always baffled me why the GS is so popular considering 95% of owners only ever ride on the road, and the RT is a much better bike for that. Maybe they want to buy into the whole "adventure" kudos.

I have the RT and am getting to love it. However, the GS has many strengths in terms of comfort and riding position. Just 'cos it looks like a trail bike doesn't mean you HAVE to ride in on trails.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
I have the RT and am getting to love it. However, the GS has many strengths in terms of comfort and riding position. Just 'cos it looks like a trail bike doesn't mean you HAVE to ride in on trails.
Conversely if you never ride off road (98% of GS owners) what's the point of having a dual sport bike. It's the bike equivalent of a Range Rover with low profile road tyres. I've had a GS and its fine but I found it had limited weather protection, buffeting was really bad whatever screen you used, had a limited choice of tyres, and it seemed that every other bike on the road was a GS with a rider in a GS "Prat Suit" pretending to be Charlie Boorman!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: Conversely if you never ride off road (98% of GS owners) what's the point of having a dual sport bike.

Forget the 'Dual Sport' tag you've given them. They are just VERY pleasant touring/road/trail bikes. The ride, the ergonomics, the handling, and (to an amazing degree considering what it is), the weather protection.
So that's the reason. They are very good bikes
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
Forget the 'Dual Sport' tag you've given them. They are just VERY pleasant touring/road/trail bikes. The ride, the ergonomics, the handling, and (to an amazing degree considering what it is), the weather protection.
So that's the reason. They are very good bikes
GS means Gelande/Strasse i.e Off-road/Street or Dual Sport. As I said I've had one and yes they're nice bikes but will always be a compromise for road use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk