Rode a GS yesterday...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

Re: Rode a GS yesterday...

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: GS means Gelande/Strasse i.e Off-road/Street or Dual Sport. As I said I've had one and yes they're nice bikes but will always be a compromise for road use.

Now I'm playing devil's advocate here because I currently own an RT and after the list below, you may ask why!  But really it is just to argue the point that the GS is probably as good a touring package as the RT. Each has its pro's and con's but forget the labels on the tins, because they are inadequate at describing the contents!

I know what GS means. You are distracted by labels. Forget the term 'GS'.
You talk of compromises. Compromises only in the same way that the RT (maybe the [size=small]Reisetourer[/size][size=small] )[/size][size=78%]  [/size][size=2px]is compromised?[/size]
[size=2px]RT Windscreen - Many folk change as it is unfit for purpose?[/size]
[size=2px]RT Handlebar height - many people change as it is not quite right (but a GS probably would be).[/size]
[size=2px]RT Storage space is lacking - however on the GS it isn't.[/size]
[size=2px]RT Rider to [/size]passenger[size=2px] ergonomics - the GS is roomier.[/size]
[size=2px]RT Seats not best as a tourer - whereas the GS seems to be more acceptable off the peg.[/size]
[size=2px]RT knee bend - the GS is easier on the joints.[/size]
ds99

Post by ds99 »

it's an image issue

RT = boring old fart / ex-police advanced riding instructor

GS = round the world of-road adventurer/film star/explorer etc
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

ds99 wrote: it's an image issue

RT = boring old fart / ex-police advanced riding instructor

GS = round the world of-road adventurer/film star/explorer etc
Image issue?

RT= for person who's worked out that the 1200RT is the best tourer in the world and is not interested in "image".

GS = for person who dreams of going on an "Adventure" and has bought the Charlie Boorman lookalike kit, but has never gone off road in his life nor would he risk his GS by doing so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
Now I'm playing devil's advocate here because I currently own an RT and after the list below, you may ask why!  But really it is just to argue the point that the GS is probably as good a touring package as the RT. Each has its pro's and con's but forget the labels on the tins, because they are inadequate at describing the contents!

I know what GS means. You are distracted by labels. Forget the term 'GS'.
You talk of compromises. Compromises only in the same way that the RT (maybe the [size=small]Reisetourer[/size][size=small] )[/size][size=78%]  [/size][size=2px]is compromised?[/size]
[size=2px]RT Windscreen - Many folk change as it is unfit for purpose?[/size]
[size=2px]RT Handlebar height - many people change as it is not quite right (but a GS probably would be).[/size]
[size=2px]RT Storage space is lacking - however on the GS it isn't.[/size]
[size=2px]RT Rider to [/size]passenger[size=2px] ergonomics - the GS is roomier.[/size]
[size=2px]RT Seats not best as a tourer - whereas the GS seems to be more acceptable off the peg.[/size]
[size=2px]RT knee bend - the GS is easier on the joints.[/size]
Hang on a minute! How come I'm having to stand up for the RT on this, the RT Forum! Are you sure you don't think you're on UKGSer!
But seriously, don't we ride RT's because they're the best tourers in the world? We don't want to be bothered with pretending to be Charlie Boorman....on a giant trail bike with knobbly tyres, aluminium boxes for panniers, wide handlebars , no wind protection, etc that is actually way too big and heavy for serious overlanders to use anyway!

ds99

Post by ds99 »

aluminium boxes for [size=78%]panniers[/size]

they may look like rugged aluminium, but quite a few are pretty thin and no stronger than plastic

pwbike

Post by pwbike »

ds99 wrote: It has always baffled me why the GS is so popular considering 95% of owners only ever ride on the road...
Go and look at the thread about roads ruining the ride.
In Australia we have a lot of badly maintained roads, rough roads, gravel roads and the like. A GS or other "all road" bike makes a lot of sense to a lot of people.
Last edited by pwbike on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hang on a minute! How come I'm having to stand up for the RT on this, the RT Forum!

Hang on a minute! Why do you feel you need to stand up for the RT - and do a tiny bit of knocking of the GS?

The OP rode a GS, found it refreshingly different to the RT and suited his biking needs. Great! He was so surprised that he felt it necessary to comment/compare on an RT forum.

I find it interesting that as peoples needs change, they may swap between GS and RT multiple times.

Personally I have ridden - but not owned GS's and K1600's - and am happy with my current steed.

John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

beemerboy9 wrote: Hang on a minute! Why do you feel you need to stand up for the RT - and do a tiny bit of knocking of the GS?
The OP rode a GS, found it refreshingly different to the RT and suited his biking needs. Great! He was so surprised that he felt it necessary to comment/compare on an RT forum.
I find it interesting that as peoples needs change, they may swap between GS and RT multiple times.
Personally I have ridden - but not owned GS's and K1600's - and am happy with my current steed.

Yep, +1.
This discussion isn't about defending the RT. It's about trying new things and becoming less blinkered.

B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
Yep, +1.
This discussion isn't about defending the RT. It's about trying new things and becoming less blinkered.
As you gave six important reasons why you didn't like the RT I thought I'd defend it. I said earlier on that I'd had a GS and that it's a good bike, but compared to my RT LC it is lacking in some areas, mainly because it's compromised by being a dual sport design.
I've ridden most touring bikes currently for sale, have 40 years of riding experience, and certainly don't consider myself blinkered, but maybe more discerning than some?
It's noticeable that the GS has a very loyal fan base, and is the best selling large bike in the UK. Adventure bikes are in vogue because they appeal to a wide audience inspired by the 'Long Way Round' phenomena. Nothing wrong with that, but in my case I'm with the majority of people on this forum who choose to ride an RT because it's suits their needs better than a GS.
I rest my case m'lord! [emoji3]

michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

B787MECH wrote: As you gave six important reasons why you didn't like the RT I thought I'd defend it. I said earlier on that I'd had a GS and that it's a good bike, but compared to my RT LC it is lacking in some areas, mainly because it's compromised by being a dual sport design.
I've ridden most touring bikes currently for sale, have 40 years of riding experience, and certainly don't consider myself blinkered, but maybe more discerning than some?
It's noticeable that the GS has a very loyal fan base, and is the best selling large bike in the UK. Adventure bikes are in vogue because they appeal to a wide audience inspired by the 'Long Way Round' phenomena. Nothing wrong with that, but in my case I'm with the majority of people on this forum who choose to ride an RT because it's suits their needs better than a GS.
I rest my case m'lord! Image

+1

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: As you gave six important reasons why you didn't like the RT

It seems you took me out of context. I DO have the RT and I like it A LOT. However I was just pointing out that the GS has many strong points to justify why hordes of folk buy them and use them for (very long) touring. On many of the runs I do abroad, the number of GS' surpass the number of RT's you see. They are not necessarily better or worse than the RT, just different.
The reason for my initial post is to just reiterate that the RT is not the only touring bike out there. It is one of a few very good ones. 
LAF

Post by LAF »

I really do not look at my GS as better then a RT. 

I loved my RT, and my LT before it.

I just wanted something different.  The GS appealed to me for it's less is more features.  I have no desire to go off road on a 600 pound bike but I have been down some roads where I would never have gone on my RT.

It is lighter than a RT.  I run no bags and just a tail bag unless I go on a road trip. 

As far as rain or weather protection once the road is wet you get wet on either, road spray is road spray.  Wind protection maybe a little better on the RT but with proper gear any weather is not a issue.

We all like different things and we do not have to like everything.  I love my GS as it is different from the RT, not better, just different.

Still has that wonderful LC Boxer motor and still makes me grin from ear to ear when I ride it.

Like I said I loved my LT, RT and  now my GS so life is good and I am thankful I have gotten to own these three bikes among many others.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

+1 to "[size=0px]We all like different things and we do not have to like everything.  I love my GS as it is different from the RT, not better, just different."[/size]
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

BoB21 wrote: Just upgrade to wet head RT best of both worlds.

+1 :-) I have a 2015 RT and rode a 2017 RS the other day, although the spec of the engine has not changed on paper I think BMW continue to make small improvements in the electronics as the pro-shift seemed much smoother on the RS!  Peter
Judgeged

Post by Judgeged »

I’ve actually run GS’s for years and I’ve gone exactly the opposite way, I’ve by accident discovered the benefits of weather protection and no wind on my chest ( therefore not getting tired as quick) I love the RT’s now, why I ever ran GS’s for all those years I’ll never know lol
Actually yes it is rocket science Mr Von Braun