RT means Reise Tourer or Travel Tourer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Rode a GS yesterday...

Post by beemerboy9 »

Judgeged wrote: I’ve actually run GS’s for years and I’ve gone exactly the opposite way, I’ve by accident discovered the benefits of weather protection and no wind on my chest ( therefore not getting tired as quick) I love the RT’s now, why I ever ran GS’s for all those years I’ll never know lol

I have owned 3 RT's and never a GS. I would never try to persuade someone who was perfectly happy on a GS to try an RT. I would try to persuade an RT owner to try a GS to see if they were missing something.

The 3 advantages of the GS for road riding are lighter weight, easier steering thanks to wider bars giving improved leverage, and soft, long-travel suspension to soak up the appalling British road surfaces. The advantages of the RT have been explained earlier in the thread.

The better bike depends on the type of riding one intends to do with it. I note that some discerning (and wealthy?) riders have both machines.
John Bentall
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've ridden a GS and it's a great bike.

I prefer the RT because it's more like a luxury saloon than a SUV.  SUVs are the most popular 4 wheel vehicle for the same kinds of reasons that the GS is the most popular 2 wheel vehicle, but being the most popular doesn't make me want anything - my RT is better suited to me and the riding I do than any GS.  The longer I live with the RT the more I appreciate the integration of all the different features - keyless ride, central locking for panniers, top box and fuel cap, etc etc.  It's a brilliant bike to live with on a long trip (I don't do camping or anything worse than an unmade road).

If I did most of my riding solo and with no luggage I might consider a different bike, but it would probably be something smaller, lighter and definitely cheaper than either a GS or an RT.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

Yup, after years of owning an adventure bike, I really noticed the disadvantages of tourers with panniers!

I often go down narrow country lanes that have gravel, moss and grass down the centre. That's so disconcerting on a tourer that I have recently bought a Suzuki VStrom for exploring, and I keep the RT for longer trips on major roads. Even then I can find that the last couple of miles to a hotel are down a lane like that!

A GS could be a good all-rounder, but I have the luxury of being able to own two bikes... and I just love the easy way the RT works. Absolutely besotted!
DW
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

RT Skid plate, crash bars, TKC 80s and you're good to go.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQa0__i_QQ&t=260s
Last edited by Pabst on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

Without his panniers that's cheating!
DW
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Interesting video.  Pointless, but interesting !  :D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: GS means Gelande/Strasse i.e Off-road/Street or Dual Sport. As I said I've had one and yes they're nice bikes but will always be a compromise for road use.

Look, I am a fully paid up member of the RT appreciation society, but I cannot understand what you mean when you say the GS is a compromise. What compromise? Just the same as the RT will have some compromise for road work. Can we just not accept that they are both excellent touring bikes?
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I am on my 3rd RT and have also owned a GS.
I tour with  a group of friends who almost exclusively ride adventure bikes (GS's, KTM's and Aprilia).
Yes, I concur that the RT is a heavy old girl when stationary, but once on the move, it is agile and can pick up her skirts and move quite quickly when asked to.
We often tour the nadgery, single track roads of Western Scotland and Ireland and I can honestly say that there has never been a time when the RT has put me at a serious disadvantage compared to my companions on their more "appropriate" bikes.
However, getting to and from our "playgrounds" involves large distances and the RT has that covered far better than they do.

When it comes to weather protection, yes, you should wear suitable clothing and I do, but the difference is, that mine is dry in all but the worst of downpours compared to the others.
Trust me, it rains a lot in both areas mentioned.

I have to say that the GS is a formidable tool in the right hands, it's just that I prefer the comfort and capabilities of the RT.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

I had a 2016 RT and have just changed to the 1250GS - I loved the RT for all the reasons mentioned before - weather etc - when I tried the 1250GS it put the same smile on me like the RT did 3 years ago.
I like the TFT dash as well its awesome who knows maybe when the RT gets a full makeover I may be tempted back, however I am preferring the riding position of the GS and the way it gives me more confidence (or seemingly so anyway!)
Both are amazing bikes.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
Look, I am a fully paid up member of the RT appreciation society, but I cannot understand what you mean when you say the GS is a compromise. What compromise? Just the same as the RT will have some compromise for road work. Can we just not accept that they are both excellent touring bikes?
Look, I thought we'd covered this. Put the two side by side. One is a purpose built dedicated tourer for road use. The other is a dual purpose trail bike with little wind/weather protection, a 19" front wheel, trail bike tyres, long travel suspension for off road, a high seating position, tin box panniers that don't hold two helmets, wide handlebars for off road, the Adv has spoked (I.e flexible wheels unsuited for fast road use) . So many GS's have lowered suspension and road tyres ( although they're a compromise compared to what's available for the RT) it just shows the owner was more interested in image than function. I could go on but can't be bothered. Happy New Year.

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

B787MECH wrote: Look, I thought we'd covered this. Put the two side by side. One is a purpose built dedicated tourer for road use. The other is a dual purpose trail bike with little wind/weather protection, a 19" front wheel, trail bike tyres, long travel suspension for off road, a high seating position, tin box panniers that don't hold two helmets, wide handlebars for off road, the Adv has spoked (I.e flexible wheels unsuited for fast road use) . So many GS's have lowered suspension and road tyres ( although they're a compromise compared to what's available for the RT) it just shows the owner was more interested in image than function. I could go on but can't be bothered. Happy New Year.

or....

The other is a dual purpose trail bike with little wind/weather protection, a 19" front wheel fitted with Michelin Pilot Road Trail biased for 100% road use, long travel suspension for superior comfort over poor road surfaces, a high seating position for superior visibility, tin box panniers that don't hold two helmets but other cases that do fit two helmets are available as an option if required, wide handlebars for off road and lighter on-road steering thanks to improved leverage at the bars, the Adv has spoked (I.e flexible wheels unsuited for fast road use) but this is of no relevance to the maximum speed quoted by BMW for these models. So many GS's have lowered suspension and road tyres (although they're a compromise compared to what's available for the RT but no evidence shown) it just shows the owner was more interested in image and the above-mentioned advantages.

The above is written as a confirmed RT-owner, who stubbornly refuses to pigeon-hole bikes.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

beemerboy9 wrote:
or....

The other is a dual purpose trail bike with little wind/weather protection, a 19" front wheel fitted with Michelin Pilot Road Trail biased for 100% road use, long travel suspension for superior comfort over poor road surfaces, a high seating position for superior visibility, tin box panniers that don't hold two helmets but other cases that do fit two helmets are available as an option if required, wide handlebars for off road and lighter on-road steering thanks to improved leverage at the bars, the Adv has spoked (I.e flexible wheels unsuited for fast road use) but this is of no relevance to the maximum speed quoted by BMW for these models. So many GS's have lowered suspension and road tyres (although they're a compromise compared to what's available for the RT but no evidence shown) it just shows the owner was more interested in image and the above-mentioned advantages.

The above is written as a confirmed RT-owner, who stubbornly refuses to pigeon-hole bikes.
You might not be ready to pigeon-hole bikes, but I am because I'm not ready to ride a bike that's not suited to the use I'm putting it to. Why would you, unless you want to be a Charlie Boorman wannabe which seems to be the case with many GS owners what with their BMW twatsuits and motocross helmets etc [emoji3]

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: You might not be ready to pigeon-hole bikes, but I am because I'm not ready to ride a bike that's not suited to the use I'm putting it to. Why would you, unless you want to be a Charlie Boorman wannabe which seems to be the case with many GS owners what with their BMW twatsuits and motocross helmets etc Image

Because the bikes are so good. And as for attire, well, that is their choice too. Which all in all makes the machine and rider as much of a touring rider as you and I.