idiot light

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

idiot light

Post by BoB21 »

Went out today with wife and found puncture in back tyre when got bike out of garage, 3rd in just over a year. Repaired it and went to new forest then warning light came on switched bike off and restarted and all seemed fine so carried on then it came back so stopped and dug the Manuel out. Found it to be Electronic Suspension Adjustment fault after much cursing and swearing about electronics on this bike realised I still had it set to solo rider. So glad didn't book it in for diagnostic, lesson learnt bike smarter than me.
Levisp

Re: idiot light

Post by Levisp »

Well thats a new one on me. Hope you didn't blame the wife. Extra weight and all that. :)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Levisp wrote: Well thats a new one on me. Hope you didn't blame the wife. Extra weight and all that. :)

Dangerous territory!  "I think we should skip lunch dear".  Wwwwwwwhackkkkkk
iscollinge

Post by iscollinge »

I had the same warning on my 2015 R1200RT. I took it to my local BMW dealer who investigated and replaced the rear shock unit. All put back together, but still an issue. The bike has been with the dealer for 5 weeks now. Speaking to one of the mechanics, who I have known for several years, he believes the problem now may be a broken wire, but he said in the old days, BMW would have said replace the affected part of the wiring loom, but not nowadays. Now BMW want him to find the 'exact' place where the wire is broken and cut it out and solder a new length of wire in. Very cheap parts bill, but huge labour costs. Fortunately, I took out the extended warranty, so it should be covered. Other thing to note. The dealer told me that the shock unit is only covered up to 32k miles and mine is at 29,400 miles. If you get the warning light again, get it checked. If you start the bike up and the light stays on, the suspension will be completely locked. I don't mean to the HARD setting, I mean TOTALLY locked with not 1mm of movement.